Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2014 18:00

Alienware 18 - Crossfire Not Working - Fix

Hi All,

Just thought I'd pop this up here for anyone who is experiencing the issue where the second adapter is showing as disabled and you can't enable crossfire.

To fix:

1. Download GPUZ & ATI WinFlash

GPUZ- http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

ATI Winflash - http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2311/ati-winflash-2-6-7/

2. Extract ATI winflash to a folder that you can easily navigate to

3. Open GPUZ and go to the second adapter (there is a selector down the bottom).  The second adapter should have a BIOS version ending in BR44966.006

If you have something different I'm not sure if this would work for you so probably best not to proceed.

4. Click the little microchip next to the bios version and select save to file

5. Save the bios into the ATI winflash folder with a name that you can easily remember.

6. Open command prompt as administrator

Press the start key

Type cmd

Right click on the command prompt icon which should should now be on the right and open as administrator

7. Navigate to the ATI winflash folder

8. Type this in the command prompt:

atiwinflash -f -p 0

the romname is whatever you saved it as, it should always end in .rom

9. ATI winflash will pop up and have a blue progress bar, this can take around a minute to complete.

10. Once done it should popup with a confirmation, it'll say that it has been flashed the new rom, old one should say discrete, new one should say crossfire.

11. Restart your PC

12 Open the catalyst control center and the cross-fire option should be enabled

Hope that helps someone out, I know that it drove me crazy!

1.8K Posts

August 5th, 2014 12:00

Thanks a lot for sharing tombrisbane!

February 22nd, 2015 03:00

Hello, This problem of not being able to enable CrossfireX is driving me crazy, I followed all your steps, everything as you said, except at #10 after flashing, both old are new say crossfire nothing says discrete, I've also noticed in GPUz both my GPUs have the same exact identical values in everything, literally everything. even after the flash cfx still disabled... help me please

No Events found!