Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2016 16:00

Alienware 7 R3 How many additional monitors can i use?

I have just bought an Alienware 7 R3 and want additional screen area ideally i would like to run 2 additional screens along with the laptops own,

I understand i can use the HDMI port and attach a large double size monitor but the configuration i would like works better with individual monitors.

Thanks in advance for your help

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 17th, 2016 08:00

Hello,

This computer comes with 1 HDMI port, therefor it only support 1 external monitor. The dual HDMI port adapter is not something we’ve certified on it.

276 Posts

June 17th, 2016 16:00

Hello,

This computer comes with 1 HDMI port, therefor it only support 1 external monitor. The dual HDMI port adapter is not something we’ve certified on it.

Sure, it has only one HDMI port, but what about the USB-C/DP/Thunderbolt port on the side? How many displays can be run off that?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 20th, 2016 10:00

The unit officially supports 1 external screen plus the LCD. USB C + DP adapter isn't officially supported (neither are any other adapters). 

276 Posts

August 11th, 2016 00:00

The unit officially supports 1 external screen plus the LCD. USB C + DP adapter isn't officially supported (neither are any other adapters). 

I'm a bit confused here, can you help?

The website description for the ports on the 17R3 says:

1 Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet IPV6
3 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports
1 Thunderbolt™ 3 Port (USB Type-C™ with Support for SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps, 40Gbps Thunderbolt, and DisplayPort)
1 Alienware Graphics Amplifier Port
1 HDMI 2.0 Output

I'm trying to understand why I'm wrong in thinking that Display Port means that the system supports a monitor, connected to that port, and probably without an adapter.

No Events found!