Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2012 08:00

Alienware Area 51 ALX Security Lock - I cannot open my computer

A little intelligence... That is all I wanted when I had my alien ware Area 51 ALX built I guess. 

I have 2 AMD 6990 GPU's in my computer. Apparently this means I have no right to go inside and therefore dell have put a lock on it to stop me. I need to go inside and reposition the GPU's because the   that put it together decided to put them ontop of each other leaving the one underneath with no air intake (The card exhaust on both sides being dual GPU so the only intake is on the top of the card) There is another PCI-E lane free, leaving 2 slots between them for adequate cooling - great i'll do that that.

"Goes to open case". Oh no they didn't...

No flat head screwdriver seems to have done, i tried speaking to dell about it but they had no idea that it even existed. The tread on the screw has now gone completley and my 2nd GPU's IDLES at 70'C - 80'C the one on top remaining at a standard 50'C.

the lot of them.

Someone tell me how to force this thing off. I have all the tools and I want it off. Has anyone done this before? How did they get it off? Thanks all you guys! Your alot better than Dell's support I can tell you that... 

3 Posts

August 7th, 2012 09:00

Okay so this Kensington lock, how would I normally remove it with a flat head screwdriver, the reason the screw head is wasted now is because I simply could not get the screw to turn at all, do I need to pull something out first?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

xtopiana,

Due to the 1.2KW power supply, the lock on the Area-51 chassis was a Dell Legal stipulation precaution we instituted so you would contact us and we could verify with you that the PC power cord was disconnected from the rear of the PC before opening the chassis cover. When it shipped, you should have been able to use a straight blade screwdriver to remove the screw. Since the screw head is damaged, you will have to get a stripped screw head removal tool from a local hardware store.

90 Posts

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

And for the cable

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

2.4K Posts

August 7th, 2012 10:00

Okay so this Kensington lock, how would I normally remove it with a flat head screwdriver, the reason the screw head is wasted now is because I simply could not get the screw to turn at all, do I need to pull something out first?

If I recall right someone said you have to keep pressure on the plastic part by pulling it while you turn the screw. It was something like that.

3 Posts

August 7th, 2012 10:00

I have been trying for around 4 hours now :( the screw thread is so damaged that I can hardly turn it now. :( which way to I turn the screw? I heard someone talking about a reverse thread

2.4K Posts

August 7th, 2012 12:00

Counter clockwise I believe. I looked at the picture and it seems to be normal threads.

I heard of another person that had tech support come to his house to remove it. After about an hour the phone support told the tech support agent at the house to rip it off. I think he used pliers and broke it off. I think if it was me I would drill it out.

Why don't you call Dell and have them send someone to remove it.

No Events found!