Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2012 07:00

Alienware Area-51 First SSD - Need advice

I picked up a Samsung 830 256GB.  I would like to install it as my main c: drive.  After reading many articles, I am actually kind of nervous trying to do this.  There seem to be multiple opinions on the order of the steps etc.  Do I format the drive first and update firmware?  Cloning is not an option for me, I need to do a clean install.  So I have read that popping the SSD in alone in slot 0 and installing windows 7 is the best way to start.  However, I also would like to retain my alienware recovery partition.  Is there any way to do this setting up an SSD as my main drive?

Any help guidance tutorials would be greatly appreciated.  Links are great, I am not opposed to reading.  I am just looking for a step by step instructional for install that I can rely on since this is my first SSD ever and it looks like you can compromise your R/W significantly if you install it incorrectly.

Thanks!!

2 Posts

April 21st, 2012 07:00

PS - I have an x58 board i7 x980 3.33ghz.  Windows 7 home premium.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 21st, 2012 11:00

Cloning is not an option for me, I need to do a clean install.  So I have read that popping the SSD in alone in slot 0 and installing windows 7 is the best way to start.  However, I also would like to retain my alienware recovery partition.  Is there any way to do this setting up an SSD as my main drive?

You can not save the Dell Recovery Partition (and have it actually work again) if you change drive hardware. It's intended for the original HDD config only.

Yes, a clean install to SSD is best. Use Windows Imaging Backup, Acronis, or similar.

See this:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19376654/19866250.aspx#19866250

No Events found!