Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2012 11:00

Alienware Area 51-M 766 Question

I was given this laptop and the OS has been changed to Windows XP Home from Windows XP Professional. Now nothing works correctly (or at all in some cases). Does anyone know how I can obtain replacements for the CD's that came with the system?

Here are the specs that I have:

• It DOES NOT HAVE a service tag
  • Windows sticker on the bottom reads: "Windows XP Professional 1 - 2CPU"
  • The next sticker has this:  First Line -       "Alienware Corp.               AREA 51-M"
  •                                                Second Line - "Assembled From Tested Components"
  •                                                Third Line -      "Support #: (866) 287-6727"
  •                                                 Fourth Line -   "Account #: AW-               PC-275512A"
  • I think that this is just the serial # for the case: "PZX766SN141100009"
  • BIOS Info:     CPU -                     Intel Pentium 4 3.20 GHz
  •                        System Memory - 1024 MB
  •                        Build Date -           02/24/04
  •                        BIOS Vers.-           1.14W
  •                        KBC Vers. -            1.17

Thank you for any and all help.

4 Posts

March 16th, 2012 05:00

Anyone?

4 Posts

March 17th, 2012 19:00

Any Help Please.

1.2K Posts

March 17th, 2012 20:00

well thats pre dell .. and is a legacy *true alienware  so you need to contact them not dell unfrtunatly i dont have it handy...  but it wont be free ..  il try nd dig  up the info if not someone here might get it faster

4 Posts

March 18th, 2012 20:00

Thank you. I did already know it was pre-dell. I talked to someone at Dell and it seems that they do not have copies of the original disks for this laptop. I'm not expecting the disks to be free. I'm a city employee and the computer is a "hand-me-down" from one department to another. If nothing else does anyone know what software that should have been on it originally(other than Windows XP Pro). Looks like I am going to have to disect it to find exactly what hardware is in it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 18th, 2012 20:00

Ya, your problems are probably worse than just needing to reload the OS. Try CPUID and PC-Wizard for internal inventory.

By now, most of those drivers should be in the Windows database. Try loading a newer OS like Vista or Win7 (even as just a test ... I think it will work for 30 days without activation) ... see if the hardware even works.

Also see:

support.alienware.com/.../driver_downloads.aspx

... to try to patch missing XP drivers.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 18th, 2012 21:00

If you want to see if the computer works without messing with the hard-drive (wants left of the OS that you don't seem to have a backup copy of) ...

If it will boot and run these from CD or whatever, the PC might be worth fixing.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

If that works, try this (a CD or USB bootable OS)

www.ubuntu.com/.../download

If all that works, and you still want XP, just borrow someones XP disc, install it, and use the number from the CoA on machine to validate.

Also, programs like Acronis or similar can "bare metal backup image" that whole drive if you want to save it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 21st, 2012 12:00

If Alienware will not provide replacement disc:

support.microsoft.com/.../en-us

No Events found!