Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2016 14:00

Alienware Area 51 R2 not responding to port forwarding

My 51 R2 doesn't let me use any ports for ftp plus gaming. In similarity I disabled security and connected directly to the desktop computer. Likewise, a software called "Port Forwarding Wizard"  is the only success I had to open any port, but its only a trial software.   

Moreover, I called "Alienware Technical Support" and the agent insisted this is another department issue. Additionally, to check router configurations my laptop had successfully connected to any port I desired.

Thanks for your support,

Operating System: Windows 10 home 64 bit

Disabled any source of firewall or security for testing the ports.  However, my primary source of firewall is Norton Internet security. The website to check if the port are open:

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Windows 10/64bit?

Are you using the Windows Firewall or something that came with Norton or McAfee?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 16th, 2016 15:00

Norton Internet Security is tricky. You will have to read and learn how to make an Exception Rule. Or, disable the Firewall part (if you can).

However, this kind of blocking is usually happening at your Router ... so you Port Forward there.

Why are you trying to setup a FTP server on your machine? Just put them in the cloud or on a web-server. Or, are you just trying to FTP files somewhere (using a FTP client)?

I completely removed Norton, and using a Ethernet connected directly to the desktop. Unfortunately ports remained closed. The purpose of opening a port has many advantages as I can connect to my university team to exchange and update software files. Sometimes its just gaming, but my ports are closed. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

So, the router is dis-connected and by-passed?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

and using a Ethernet connected directly to the desktop.

Right, but what is other end connected to?

The plain broadband modem, the router, or a gateway device (gateway contains modem AND router).

Even "wired" connections use router.

The ethernet connection between the modem and 51 R2.

June 16th, 2016 16:00

Yes and the ports are still unavailable. Internet works fine its a strange symptom to diagnose isn't it?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

1. What is the make and model of the modem?

2. When you go here, what does it say about Network Firewall?

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance

1.  Arris TM822G  (Cabel modem) 

2. Network Firewall (Norton Security is turned off) 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 16th, 2016 17:00

1.  Arris TM822G  (Cabel modem) 

2. Network Firewall (Norton Security is turned off) 

1. Ok, good. Just a modem ... so it can't really block any ports
2. Ok, I guess ... but you said your "removed it completely". I assumed you uninstalled it.
I've never heard of it before, but maybe your ISP is blocking FTP port 21.
I don't think it has to be port 21. Try changing it to 22 or 21000.

June 16th, 2016 20:00

Tesla as mentioned previously any port I try is blocked only on the Area 51 R2. In fact, using a router wireless band I was able to open port 21 using "ONLY" my laptop. Please share any other strategies to resolve this issue as I have no clue. Also, my 51 R2 has Norton Internet security that I installed recently, but I disable before attempting to activate a port.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 16th, 2016 21:00

1. Tesla as mentioned previously any port I try is blocked only on the Area 51 R2. In fact, using a router wireless band I was able to open port 21 using "ONLY" my laptop. Please share any other strategies to resolve this issue as I have no clue.

2. Also, my 51 R2 has Norton Internet security that I installed recently, but I disable before attempting to activate a port.

1. No, I did not catch or understand that. Can you still open port 21 on laptop?

2. Completely uninstall Norton and reboot

Run special "Norton Remover" from their website and reboot

Get Windows Firewall and Windows Defender running.

Disable both of those.

Check Security Center and be sure they are both disabled

Try FTP Port 21 then.

June 16th, 2016 22:00

Yes port 21 is accessible on my laptop, but not on the area 51 when connected through the router. Also, if I connect directly to the modem the laptop can access all ports, but the desktop can not. 

I removed Norton, and disabled  firewall and windows defender still no success. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 16th, 2016 23:00

Hmm. Well, it has to be some software or setting on Area51-R2.

What FTP Server are you using?

Did you install Microsoft IIS and FTP Server?

No Events found!