Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2013 08:00

Alienware Aurora - 6 beeps

Hi all,

I'm looking to confirm an issue, I have had my Alienware Aurora for about 5 years, I was browsing last night when it simply blacked out and shut down. When I attempted to boot it up I hear a fan power up, then click off, then power up again, then finally followed by 6 beeps continuously. 

According to the manual and everything I've read this indicates a failure in the graphics card, I opened it up, unhooked the card completely, reconnected it but still got the same result. Is it safe to assume the graphics card needs to be replaced? What I have in there right now is a ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB, any recommendations for a replacement would also be helpful. 

I also attempted to disconnect anything I could inside the unit to see if there was another problem, it was certainly dusty in there so I cleaned it out a little but still no luck. 

Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

Hi Moziqui,

6 beeps indicates issue with the Video Card on the system.

Please refer to Page 51 on the manual given below:

http://bit.ly/ZwqtG3

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US CustomersIndia CustomersFor Dell support videos click here.

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

Hi Moziqui,

Thank you for the reply.

Check if the system works properly without the video card.

Replacing the video card will isolate if it is an issue with the video card or the slot.

NOTE: Computer components are to be replaced by a professional only. 

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US CustomersIndia CustomersFor Dell support videos click here.

9 Posts

Hi Manshu, I have seen that which was able to help me identify the issue, is the only solve a replacement of the graphics card?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 31st, 2013 16:00

Try a know good PCIe video card (even if it's an old slow one). That should test the PCIe x16 slot and the motherboard.

9 Posts

October 31st, 2013 16:00

Removing the graphics card had no effect, the same thing happens, the same 6 beeps.

9 Posts

October 31st, 2013 18:00

If after I remove the video card it still gives me the 6 beeps, wouldn't that mean the problem must be something other than the card?

• 

2.7K Posts

November 1st, 2013 09:00

Hello Moziqui!

If you test the video card in different slots and the 6 beeps issue persists, then yes the video card might be damage.

9 Posts

November 1st, 2013 13:00

I just tried the card in an alternative slot and the same thing happened, I have a new card coming today that I will install and see if that makes a difference. I'm not convinced it will since I've removed the card completely and I still get the same 6 beeps.

9 Posts

November 1st, 2013 22:00

So I got a new card and the good news is I have had some success, the system boots up, gets past the initial screen and then I get a black screen simply stating 'missing operating sys'.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 1st, 2013 22:00

Check BIOS RAID settings (if you had one).

Otherwise, the OS might really be missing, files corrupt, HDD went bad, bad cable, etc.

See if HDD is being detected in BIOS. Now would be a good time to run Dell Diags. 

9 Posts

November 1st, 2013 23:00

I think I finally managed to get it working, I went into the BIOS setup and switched something from ACH1I (Can't recall exactly what it was) to RAID, after that it booted up, I was able to install the new drivers and it appears to be working fine. Phew!

No Events found!