Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2012 16:00

Alienware Aurora R3 freezes at Windows 8 Logo

Hi Guys My Aurora R3 when restarted it spins the dotted circle on windows 8 and just before it is about to boot to open windows it freezes. This is only on restart if I completely shut down it starts up fine. I did not have this problem with windows 7.

Aurora R3

Intel core i5 2400 Sandy Bridge

Socket 1155 LGA

Systemboard 046MHW

Memory ddr3 6GB

Graphics 2 x NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 460

BIOS A06

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 17th, 2012 18:00

bobbloke_1,

List every peripheral plugged into the R3.

18 Posts

November 17th, 2012 20:00

+1 this post is equal to the symptoms described in this post:

en.community.dell.com/.../19473795.aspx

...which I also suffer from

143 Posts

November 18th, 2012 00:00

Oh come on Chris from Dell, are you going to blame peripherals for Dells mess up.

18 Posts

November 18th, 2012 02:00

One thing I just noticed too is that even though I have a frozen Windows 8 bootSplash Screen, my AlienWare logo on the chasis is pulsating red and yellow like it's gone into sleep mode.  What's that about?

Like we said, performing a cold boot has neither frozen boot screens or pulsating chasis logos.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 18th, 2012 10:00

bobbloke_1,

Let me be clear, the R3 is not supported with Windows 8. We cannot know what software/hardware issues you may encounter or how to address issues found because we will not test Windows 8 on this platform. I am trying to help with standard troubleshooting in the hopes of finding a workaround. If none can be found, remove Windows 8 and restore the system to the supported Windows 7.

9 Posts

November 18th, 2012 13:00

Let me be clear, it needs a BIOS update.  There is a difference between supporting something and making sure that the product is not faulty.  The R3 BIOS is faulty it needs to be updated to run Windows 8.  I have spent days on this, look at Google,  are HUNDREDS of posts from people having the same problem.  You can jubd if get it installed but it will not install cleanly and will only cold boot.  Just make sure the BIOS will work is differennt from supporitng it.  THE BIOS NEEDS TO BE UPDATED.  Microsoft OS are somehting that should run on a less than one year old $3000 computer.  SHAME ON DELL!  SHAME ON CHRIS!  Usually posts well but on this issue Dell is in denial.  

18 Posts

November 18th, 2012 15:00

bobbloke_1,

Let me be clear, the R3 is not supported with Windows 8. We cannot know what software/hardware issues you may encounter or how to address issues found because we will not test Windows 8 on this platform. I am trying to help with standard troubleshooting in the hopes of finding a workaround. If none can be found, remove Windows 8 and restore the system to the supported Windows 7.

Surely you must have an old R3 laying around that you could test on?  Please?

My old Alienware Area-51 circa 2006 desktop runs Windows 8 fine and yet my 13 month old Alienware R3 does not

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 18th, 2012 16:00

andre001,

There is a difference between supporting something and making sure that the product is not faulty.
* Agreed. We will do our best to make sure the R3 with Windows 7 functions.

The R3 BIOS is faulty...
* The Bios is not faulty in the supported OS. If there are issues with the Bios and Windows 7, we will gladly help you fix them.

it needs to be updated to run Windows 8.
* At this time, Windows 8 is not supported. All I can do is support the OS sold on the R3.

The R3 Drivers page only has Windows 7 64-bit drivers: http://dell.to/T5n0It

The R3 Sales page states that the supported OS is Windows 7 64-bit: http://dell.to/Q3LhBn
=====

Beugnen,

Surely you must have an old R3 laying around that you could test on? Please?
* Sure, we could load Windows 8, but any issues we face would not be fixed. Asking engineering to fix those issues would be going against the marketing and design restrictions placed on us for the R3.

My old Alienware Area-51 circa 2006 desktop runs Windows 8 fine.
* That is great, but it was not in the original design to do so.
=====

All,

We can go round and round on this here in the Forum. It is a good discussion. But we cannot escalate any Windows 8 issues on the R3. They will flat out send my request back with a refusal. If you really want to change the supported OS on the R3, post your thoughts on Dell IdeaStorm. http://bit.ly/y6VM

Remember, a well written constructive IdeaStorm request is better received than just complaints.

15 Posts

November 18th, 2012 19:00

Chris M from Dell---The thing that annoys me about this situation is that hardware wise our systems should be able to run windows 8. Heck, we would be able to run windows 10 if it existed. And considering what we paid for this system i am sure that we all thought our computers were future proof! The thing that is holding us back from upgrading is that outdated bios! Considering what we paid for this system, we should be able to AT LEAST BE ABLE TO UPGRADE TO THE NEXT VERSION OF WINDOWS! Are you seriously telling me THAT EVERY ALIENWARE COMPUTER WILL BE STUCK AT ITS CURRENTLY INSTALLED OS, WITH NO OPTION TO UPGRADE?

15 Posts

November 18th, 2012 20:00

I am seriously never going to buy another alienware computer again if this is the horrible policy you guys have! It is like buying a disposable computer. It is ironic isn't it,  that you guys market Alienware as one of the most CUSTOMIZABLE COMPUTERS, AND YET WE CANNOT EVEN UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 8.     DEFEND THAT CHRIS M FROM DELL

18 Posts

If you really want to change the supported OS on the R3, post your thoughts on Dell IdeaStorm. http://bit.ly/y6VM

Remember, a well written constructive IdeaStorm request is better received than just complaints.

I have posted an entry on IdeaStorm here:

http://www.ideastorm.com/idea2ReadIdea?Id=087700000008lJVAAY&v=1353281939041

15 Posts

I mean seriously we should be entitled to AT LEAST ONE OS UPGRADE!!!!

18 Posts

I mean seriously we should be entitled to AT LEAST ONE OS UPGRADE!!!!

+1

agreed

15 Posts

November 18th, 2012 22:00

Hey Chris M from Dell you guys should rename Alienware into ALIENATEDware, because honestly i am sure i can speak for all of us in saying that AFTER A YEAR?! we as customers are alienated

November 20th, 2012 00:00

I suggest we all do what Chris M suggested with regards to IdeaStorm.  Sitting around berating him all day doesn't help, the decision to support Windows 8 is clearly not his to make.  So, let's all register on IdeaStorm and vote on Beugnen's post there.

No Events found!