Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2013 11:00

Alienware Aurora R4. System fan issues

Hi, So here is my story/issue....
My computer is an Alienware Aurora R4 desktop. It is less then a year old. This issue started about 5 days ago now. I have called the dell tech support twice. and they dont seem to want to help, I have gotten frustrated with the phone so im hoping this will work...

So here is the issue: My system fan keeps running up at 4150-5000 RPM, and only goes down to about 1400-2200RPM during idle. Today it has started to randomly shut down. I have been watching the 3 ambient temp sensors which all stay at 24-26 degrees Celsius. The PCI and hard drive fans are good at around 1456 and 1089 rpm.

At first the RPM only went up while i was gaming. but it didn't take long and now whenever i try to do anything it will get very loud and rpm goes crazy. Originality my PC would idle at about 1200-1400rpm and only go up to 2200-2400rpm when gaming. its almost as if it is under high load when its not. and its cool so im sure its not over heating.

I have taken the pc apart and thoroughly cleaned all fans and boards of dust with the correct compressed air. I have confirmed everything is correctly plugged in. When this did not help, i found the BIOS was at version A05 so I updated to the A07.  I ran the Dell PC Diag and it passed, the alienware autopsy passed, Ive ran multiple McAfee virus scans, reinstalled the Alienware command center and ran the dell pc checkup -which found issues. I payed and installed the system mechanic and fixed these issues.

The first time i called Dell tech support the guy was very friendly and i didn't catch his name. All he did was mess around with my video card settings (not sure why as its only the system fan connected to the rad and pump that is the issue) he said it needed to be updated so he updated my video card and that was it. told me he would email me the next day to check up on if it worked or not. He never did get back into contact with me, and i didnt get his email address either. But All that did was add to the issue.. because ever since he did this update my gaming experience is terrible. I only play World of Warcraft currently. Normally my FPS are 75-100 FPS and now they jump around a bit, but mainly sit at 2-17 FPS and occasionally go to 50 FPS if i dont move. So im guessing that's just settings issue... my card is a AMD Radeon 7870 2GB

So then i called back again a day later. and the next guy was not as friendly. didnt give me his name either. he wouldnt do anything, he just told me that the notes from the last call said that it was not an over heating issue, and that it was completely normal. im sorry but my house is way cooler in the summer then it is in the winter, and the temps are always even and stable. its blowing very cool air and a strong amount of air. he would not listen at all. 

then the next day it stays at 4150 RPM for 90% of the day instead of 60% of the day. even if im not using it. And it has randomly shut itself down multiple times. from what i can find on these forums and online thats like a fail safe mode... so obviously it is not normal!

As today is the first day it has started shutting down i wanted to run the diag tests again but as soon as i try, it runs for a few mins then the pc shuts down. The computer is running sluggish too, but this may be a different issue. I did manage to get the dell diag and the system mechanic to run tests, and they passed too. im at a total loss....

The air coming from the system fan is very strong and cool so i do not feel there is any over heating going on. As far as i can tell the pump is working correctly and all fans are spinning.

This pc is less then a year old, so there is still warranty on it, as well as i have purchased another year of warranty shortly before this started actually.. And i dont want to try anything else without some help as i dont want to damage anything or ruin my warranty coverage

I would very much appreciate any help im at a major loss of what to do, and feel the tech support will start ignoring me if i call back any more. If you can help out you can best reach me at my email which is k.k._smith@hotmail.com. Or respond to this conversation.

Thank you, and hope to hear from you,

Katelin

22 Posts

July 15th, 2013 21:00

Hi it sounds like your cpu is overheating and your system is shutting down in order to prevent frying the components. Install the utility Core temperature and post up the temperature readings on your cores. www.alcpu.com/.../download.php  Your thermal paste might need to be reapplied, or your water cooler might need replacement. Let me know what your temperature readings are for both the cores and the ambient temperature.

October 4th, 2013 12:00

This is a frequent problem with Aurora R4's produced during 2012 (and possibly after).  The cooling block on the CPU is prone to gunking up with whatever substandard fluid Dell shipped them with.  Here's mine I just took out today.  I replaced it with a Corsair H80i for about $80.

7532.photo.JPG

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 15th, 2013 22:00

If you want to use your warranty (for free parts and install labor) you have to go through phone support.

Tell them your radiator fan is running 4000 rpm at idle (instead of 1600). They should replace your whole Asetek cooling system,  re-apply new thermal compound, and get it on there properly/flat.

Search forum. Lots of newer Aurora R4s with bad Asetek coolers recently.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19516339/20410651.aspx#20410651

22 Posts

July 15th, 2013 23:00

Yeah going with what Tesla said it is pretty obvious your cpu is overheating most likely due to a watercooler failure of some sort or poorly applied thermal paste. I would launch core temp and have it running while talking to the alien ware tech over the phone to show them the abnormally high temps and system fan rpms. This is something they should be replacing and doing all the labor on. It can be one of two things faulty- the water cooler (most likely given the previous R4 track record, or the mio board not reading the temperature sensors correctly, and therefore not communicating with the water cooler correctly. If your lights are still working, it is most likely a failure of the water cooler. It's not a difficult fix, but will require a tech to come out and put the new water cooler assembly in. Also I would recommend getting two 120 mm fans, with one being put in front of your radiator for a push pull config to help with the air flow and one being put in the back top corner to pull  cool air in. Search the forums and you will see how you can improve the R4 cooling specifically. Good luck

22 Posts

July 16th, 2013 20:00

Glad to hear that tech support finally came to the right conclusion about what was wrong with it. The Aurora R4s have been known to have this problem unfortunately. The good news is down the road you can always upgrade the water cooler to one that is more efficient and do other tweaks to your case to improve the airflow.

14 Posts

July 16th, 2013 20:00

Thanks for the responses. I did check the core temps with that link provided. all four cores were at the max 100C. So I followed your recommendation and called dell tech support. they got me to enter the F12 boot function and ran a test. found the temp at 104C and it shut down almost instantly. They are going to be sending a tech tomorrow to replace the cooler. and hopefully everything else is ok.

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated. still quite disappointed things need to be replaced already, not even a year old yet.. but at least its warranty.

8 Posts

September 21st, 2013 20:00

i am having the same issue with the pc i have sadly im not under warranty anymore and dell will not help with the issue. powers down. everything is cool had a tech look at it and told me the water pump is not working replaced it and then i get it back and yet again it is the same. can someone help me plzz

6 Posts

October 5th, 2013 04:00

Hi thanks for your response i have had no end of problems with my aurora fans to the extent that i couldnt play fsx they were spinning up to 5000 rpm during game play. So i got on to dell they went on to my computer remotely and discovered that my cpu pump was over reving and the cpu cores were too high so they sent me out a new cpu pump and so far it has been quite as a mouse. When i look into the case now i see that it a different kind of pump it has the alienware head but a slightly different shape im no expert on the alienware but if i had to guess id say its a differnt model of pump. I will keep my fingers crossed because i have had numerious problems with this machine with my hard disc and motherboard problems which dell also replaced i have to say that dell have been very good with there tech support and hardware replacement.The pump was changed only a week ago so ill keep this site posted if any problems reaccure i would suggest to anyone with the same problems to say it to dell and see if they have a fix.  

8 Posts

October 6th, 2013 08:00

Update:  I have always used and loved Alienware and had incredible service from them.  The sad fact is that Alienware is gone and all that is left is Dellware. My issue was identical to the original posters and started one month after the warranty ran out.  Dell not only would not help but tricked me into buying an extended warranty and "they would fix me right up". As soon as I paid, they told me "they would fix me right up" but I had to pay for the repair.  I finally spent a fortune to have a private tech do the replacement. I got the pc home and within an hour it shut down twice.  Fresh start the pc was cool long enough to run scans for virus, spyware etc, I also scanned my external hard drive.  The tech said he did this already using Panda but Kapersky found all kinds of Substitute character removed as per TOU>.  Surpise, my pc stopped shutting down but I was still wracked with horrendous lag so I changed out my ethernet wire and I run at a fairly steady 100 FPS, slightly lower when playing WOW.   The fan still is extremely loud when I am gaming which I still don't think is normal.  Any advice would be appreciated on setting adjustments.

6 Posts

October 7th, 2013 16:00

Hi im just wondering when did you buy your computer dell replaced my pump just under the 2 year guarantee I didn't take out an extended warranty although dell try to sell it to me a few times. I only realized when I contacted dell that I have a 2 year guarantee on all hardware parts its an Eu law so as I am In Ireland I am covered im not sure if its the same in the usa. As far as the pump goes from day one it was very noisy when playing fsx I only had sim city also but it was quiet playing that although I know sim city is run by the nvidea processor so wasn't using the core processors for that game. Two weeks before dell replaced the pump every application was running the pump from 2000 to 5000 rpm even in explorer and in sim city also that's when I knew that the pump was defective the cores were idling between 50cc to 80 cc which is way to high. If your pump is doing the same Id say you have the same problem I had. If not id say its the older model of pump you have that is not as quiet as the new one dell installed for me. As i said im no alienware expert but the new pump is a different shape its rounder and not hexangler its also has a reflective surface. I would query dell and ask them if the pump they installed on the auroras 2 years ago have been improved by now. I hope this answers some of your questions I paid 3000 euros for my machine and im only really enjoying it now I hope you get yours fixed also but with this machine every time I turn it on im wondering what will be the next problem fingers crossed.   

8 Posts

October 9th, 2013 15:00

In the US there is only a 1 year warranty so it was up 8/1/13.  The new pump works well but it doesn't take much for the fans to get loud. The new ethernet cable cleared up the lag too.  Dell is a horrible company.

2 Posts

November 10th, 2013 12:00

I'm not sure if you've managed to sort out this issue but I had a similar problem. When taxing the system with applications (not so much) or gaming I experienced the system fan revving up to several thousand times per minute, then quiet down but still remain high. At this point I though it could be my CPU water cooler or heat sink playing up.

Turns out in Windows 7 the power settings were set to maximum performance profile which among other things has a processor power management setting which has a sub setting for "minimum processor state". In this profile that is not allowed below 100% ("maximum processor state" can stay happily at 100% unless you REALLY don't want any excess noise from the fan. I put my minimum to 5% just like the balanced profile and the maximum at 85% - 90% and that seems to keep the fan speed at the same RPM as if the system is idle on the desktop around 1250 RPM). 

So as soon as I set this I no longer had the fan spin up to take off speed.

Not sure if that'll help anyone but I hope it does. I traced the culprit software to AVG Tune up (very good so not taking anything away from it) which set the power profile for me.

Rob.

November 16th, 2013 15:00

Exactly how mine looked today when I opened it up. Thanks for the tip. The system works much better now. Cores almost 20 degrees cooler, and my computer doesn't go off like a jet engine each time I open up an app. Cleaned out the goo, reseated with fresh thermal paste, and should be good to go until I replace this  Substitute character removed as per TOU> cooling system dell included in the system. My only concern now is any lingering heat damage this may have caused, but at current there aren't anymore indicators of issues. Thanks again.

November 18th, 2013 05:00

I'll add that the alcpu program for reporting on core temperatures was also the key to me realizing the truth.  Do NOT rely on the temperatures provided by Command Center.  The "ambient sensor" temps reported were in an acceptable range, and my reliance on those reports allowed me to prolong the overhearting issue.  I'd say it was misleading at best, and not relevant to the temperatures of concern.

The core temps were around 55-57 degrees C at idle (Windows 7 running with default startup apps; me not doing doing anything), upwards to 87 to 92 degrees C (not good).

If you think you're having overheating issues, give this program a shot before you take a look at the cooling system.  And if they're high, there's probably a decent possibility you've got a gunk cloggage.

1 Message

November 28th, 2013 03:00

Hi, my desktop had the same problem lately. But I couldnt find the part in picture, can u tell me where it is? and also,where did u purchase the replacement part?

Thank you!

No Events found!