Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2012 09:00

Alienware Aurora Upgrade Decision...

I have been looking over the forum and several threads on 1366 vs 1155 vs 2011, but I have a unique situation. I currently have an Alienware Aurora R2, these specs:

i7 920
24GB 1333 Corsair memory
300GB Intel SSD/RAID 5 3TB
295 GTX Nvidia

I want to upgrade the processor and the video card (another thread on this), but I think I want to deal with the CPU part first. I have the option to upgrade to a i7 980 for $589, and that would push me up to a six core with awesome crunching power. My other option is to upgrade the CPU, and mobo, but here is the problem. I want to keep my light functions on my system, so I would have to get a Alienware R4 (2011 socket) mobo, correct? This second option may pose a challenge, how to procure a R4 mobo, as they are rather new out.

So I can either..

a. Upgrade to a i7 980 = $589 and call it a day.
b. Upgrade to a i7 3930 = $600, and a Alienware mobo (who knows how much this could cost)
c: Upgrade to a i7 3930, forget the lights, and get a top shelf 2011 board. (Last ditch option)

Any input on this would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

A post-upgrade note, I will sell the 920 so that would recoup some cost of course.

11 Posts

February 24th, 2012 12:00

I have a similar problem.

I have an Area 51 and I want to upgrade the mobo as well because my middle dim of my RAM slots has failed. 

I also have a LGA 1366: i7 960. -- Water Cooling pump failed and leaked all over my mobo.

Now my thing is unless you have personally spoken to an Alienware Rep about the mobo switching and losing the lighting I don't think this will happen.

From what I can tell and see -- unless the Aurora is that different from the Area 51. In my case there is a PCB (Printed Circuit Board) that has a slew of wires surrounding it and I believe that is what handles the case lighting. Actually I'm more than sure because there is a lot of writing on it that leads me to believe so.

With that being said I know the Aurora isn't as big as the Area 51, I believe they use Micro ATX mobos for this case. If that is the matter here and  you can only use a Micro ATX, that would suck. 

Again with that being said. I have recently called Dell and asked about buying a replacement mobo, and while it could just be that, since they discontinued the Area-51 line, whatever stock they have on parts is highly over priced.

For their proprietary mobo it was $729. Which  I can buy the best 1366 mobo and have money over to buy an SSD or two.

Don't go with Dell. 

Wait for another reply and see if in fact that if you switch the mobo you will lose the lighting, which I can guarantee you shouldn't. I should be replacing my own mobo in a while myself. I was actually going to ask a former professor of mine if he could assist me with this and if there need be any modifications I can ask around or get help.

I hope you understand my ramblings but I stepped out the room in the middle of writing this and lost though. I should be doing homework, but I actually wanted to get a few answers myself on this forum.

19 Posts

February 25th, 2012 23:00

So no one knows about upgrading the moth board from a 1366 to a 2011?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

For Area-51:

Search the forums. People have install after-market motherboards in Area-51s. If you want the MIO-Board to work, you will have to hack the MIO power connector (must know how to solder and use a meter). It may or may not comm over new MB's USB-1 ... you just have to try it.

You can also swap the power supply (and the harness) but you have to watch size.

I think one person settled for the MIO-Board running it's last loaded program so the light where whatever color permanently. No CommandCenter loaded. Then, they installed a multi-fan after-market fan controller.

You are going to go through a lot of trouble to keep that case, but it should work if you are a good at mods.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

For Aurora:

If you have a 920 and x58 motherboard, ... that's a R1. You also must have the optional 875w PS.

The Aurora R4 MB should fit, but obviously, no one has tried it yet. You would need the MB, processor, and RAM.

Unless the Aurora was an expensive ALX model, the economics of the upgrade are not like that of an Area-51.

Your best bet ... while the Aurora is working ... keep it together and sell it cheap (or move to lesser role). Then, buy basic (non-ALX) R4. Most Dell spare parts (at least large expensive ones) are very expensive.

131 Posts

February 26th, 2012 07:00

I have a similar system as the OP with only 12 gigs of memory and the only thing I've did is upgrade the graphics card.  I still haven't had any problems with my processor or memory.  The only reason I'm getting a new PC is family is in need of one so I"m giving them this one.  Have you tried overclocking your 920 yet?  I would suggest just updating the video card at first (just got a GTX 570 HD installed) and see what you think about that improvement and then if you are still not happy going to the next.  Might I suggest after reading many reviews of the 3930 and the new sandy e bridges that a 2600K is the better hyperthreading choice for overclocking if you are going to do that....or just waiting until the next set of processors come out.....seriously after putting the new video card in my system runs solid.  Also I would like to suggest if you don't do it to clean out the dust in your system.  I was getting high temps and some slow down and that fixed a ton of it.  

19 Posts

February 27th, 2012 14:00

Some good responses, I wanted to be able to utilize the newer technology such as USB 3.0, SATA III, and hexacore. I could go with OC'ing my 920, and changing the graphics card, but I would still have the older technology. Something to think about.

406 Posts

February 27th, 2012 15:00

If all your doing is gaming, save your cash. Overclock the 920 to 4.3GHz sell the 295 and buy a 590.

131 Posts

February 27th, 2012 17:00

I understand the want the new technology but remember to take advantage of it you would need components that can use the new technology of course I also understand the want for 3.0 as well.  

19 Posts

February 29th, 2012 01:00

Yes Damien, I have some USB 3.0 drives, looking to get a NAS, and have a Intel SSD. I would get the native capable speeds from these devices by moving up. A better option may be to move to an R3 board with a 2600K CPU, that would be less than $500 with no problems of compatibility with my current rig.

That would give the newer technology, faster processing, and at a lower price point. This may be my best option, thoughts?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 29th, 2012 11:00

You can get a USB 3.0 PCIe card for $25.

131 Posts

February 29th, 2012 11:00

The 2600K is easier to overclock than the newer processors.  If I felt the need to get a higher processor I would go with the 3960 which is rather expensive compared to the 2600K.  Dell obviously has all the parts in for the R3 because mine was shipped today.  If I was going to update my 920 that is the route I would go.  I'm actually giving my 920 to family to use and I'll use the R3 but had someone not really needed a PC I would have just stuck with what I got.  I have been enjoying my GTX 570 HD video card.  I know I shouldn't be but I was amazed how much better a few of the games work versus my GTX 295 even though that was an dual GPI card.  I do believe only 560's and higher rate above what a GTX 295 rates but the 295 doesn't have direct X 11 and in a direct x 11 game that makes a difference.  

The 2600K in my opinion taking in money and performance is a better option then any you were thinking of replacing.  If money isn't a issue I'd just wait to the next wave of processors is released in April.  However if you are like me and you want the best bang for your buck as of right now I think its the 2600K.  Not sure how upgrading your Mother Board works with Dell/Alienware which you would have to do to get the 3.0 USB.  I know the R3 board has two 3.0 slots.  

If you are looking at more than just upgrading the R3 is running cheap right now and it will upgrade all you have.  Either way I think the 2600K is the route to go in my opinion....

1.2K Posts

February 29th, 2012 14:00

man i wish i had money to burn  im still rocking a QX6700 on a 780i 3x460gtx LOL

+1 on the 2600k it does oc like mad very easily

otherwise if your gonna go to newest tech wait a touch longer for realease of newer since what you get now is gonna be outdated in 5 weeks :O you waited thsi long whats another month or so ....

19 Posts

February 29th, 2012 17:00

I am going with the 2600 route, and the R3 board. I know Ivy Bridge is coming out soon, but that will be a huge increase in price and I will back again with the same issue. A whole new system, that would cost well over $1500, and from my readings, the Ivy Bridge CPU's will be 1155. Their performance is said to be 15-20% higher in performance over the SB?  That's not enough for me to wait.

I will spend about $460, new processor and board, new technology, fully compatible with my Aurora. Then I will get a updated Nvidia card later.

19 Posts

April 7th, 2012 11:00

Well, I ended up going off the Alienware ranch altogether on my system build. The problems I ran into is the cooler bracket from the R2 Asetek based won't fit on the 1155 socket board (1366>1155). Also, on the motherboard tray from the R2 (1366) the plastic bracket on the tray is not the correct place for an 1155 socket board either. Even if I changed the cooler the Corsair H80 for example, the plug from the stock cooler has a proprietary plug that is not the same.

So, to keep from buying more stuff, testing it out and seeing the limitations I was dealing with, I went with a custom build which will allow for easier future upgrades and a lot more options/flexibility:

Corsair 650D case

Intel 2600K CPU

16GB Blue Corsair Vengenace Memory

Asus Deluxe P8/Z68 board

Corsair H100 Cooler

Corsair 850AX Professional Series

EVGA 570HD Classified

Using the Intel SSD and my 3 RAID 5 Segates off the Alienware system.

It was fun getting back into building again, system is running smooth, super fast. 21-26C.

5 Posts

April 8th, 2012 14:00

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

Iam interested in your Mobo. Questions:

1. Do you ebay account? I want to see your feedbacks.

2. Where did you buy the mobo? Do you have the documentation to proved the warranty?

3. The model is Gen-z or Gen-z/Gen3 ?

Thanks!

No Events found!