Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2011 19:00

Alienware Aurora and the Surge Protector...Good/Bad?

I've got my big ole' Alienware Aurora plugged into a surge protector with my monitor, speakers, and lamp also plugged into it. Is that alright? I haven't had any problems so far.

190 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 21:00

I got the same plus a printer- I have a monster surge protector. When the weather gets bad I unplug the network cables and electric cords so nothing is connected to any of my pc's during an electric storm.

45 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 18:00

That's a good idea. I'll probably do that, too. i don't need my $2,000 Alienware frying.

431 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 20:00

If you can spare $60-80. Id just grab a battery backup. You can have a bunch of things plugged in and if the power goes out youll have 5-10min of power to save info and/or shutdown. If your power flickers off for a second you wont be effected at all! They function as surge protectors also. Now most brands have master plugs that can automatically cut off power to your computer accessories when your PC turns off (or w.e. is plugged into master). That saves on the electric bill and keeps you from having to turn off everything manually.

45 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 21:00

Yeah, I had looked into theose actually. They are nice. I'll probably pick one up someday. Thank's, buddy!

34 Posts

January 24th, 2011 04:00

Hi C_Ronic. You need to be careful when it comes to UPS or a proper battery backup. The Alienware hardware is extremely high when it comes to power and typically they can use between 600 to 900 watts during heavy use (depending on what you are doing with the system). To achieve some 10 minutes of battery backup whilst running at say 700 watts at the time of a black/brown out, it would require a UPS with at least 900 watts plus to handle the load.

I would recommend that you use the dealers UPS or battery backup online calculator to confirm your need. The calculator should typically cover all hardware that you want on the UPS e.g. CPU, disk drives, monitors, printers.

Note I use a UPS that handles a 980 watt loading before it can no longer support battery failover....Now this only covers the Area 51 and a NAS drive I have. Anything with data is what I would recommend other stuff is easy to replace and can be placed on quality surge protectors you mentioned.

Cheers.

431 Posts

January 24th, 2011 09:00

Thanks for the info! my UPS is 450w but the only thing I have pugged into the battery side is my PC. Ive had the power go out while gaming more than once and have been OK.  I know I'm cutting it close but ive had no problems yet :) and ive had it for over a year.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 24th, 2011 11:00

I use these and I really like them:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/206137/APC-Back-UPS-XS-Series-Battery/?cm_cat=

You can also get them at BestBuy. There is also a 1300 model.

190 Posts

January 26th, 2011 10:00

I'm gonna get this one thanx for the tip. What about a power conditioner, do you use one ? I've seen the Cyberpower ones but the look kinda iffy.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 27th, 2011 13:00

I'm gonna get this one thanx for the tip. What about a power conditioner, do you use one ? I've seen the Cyberpower ones but the look kinda iffy.

The APC series linked above has a built-in power conditioner. Check the real specs at APC.com .

I don't own or (agree to) support a PC or server without a proper APC battery backup attached. Other brands are ok, but I prefer APC (they are not all built the same). AC Power is much worse than most people think. I good UPS is not optional (unless you don't value your PC, data or time).

Back when I did tech support ... on systems without a good UPS unit ... lightening often blew power supplies, motherboards, even blew holes in chips and cards. Generally poor power will also gradually wear down the parts until they eventually fail.

190 Posts

January 27th, 2011 14:00

Thanx for the tip. I never used a UPS @ home- power here in AZ is on 99% of the time and you can luckily see when the weather is going to get bad. I've always wanted a power conditioner- prob just for geek factor - but  since APC has 2 in 1 I'll get it.

No Events found!