Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 21st, 2013 11:00

Alienware M11X Hinge replacement + home repair.

Hello,

I have an Alienware M11X R1 that the hinges had broke and I repaired it with glue, but recently found out that Dell can repair the hinges past the warranty year (mine expired in 2011) and I purchased this laptop second-handed. Am I still eligible for hinge/lid replacement for my Alienware M11X R1? The back cover of the display case DP/N is 05TD8G, all six holes and the hinge had been filled with gorilla epoxy glue holding it together. However...I'm still concerned that it might break again in the future. Anyway am I still eligible for this replacement program? I hope I didn't mess it up, I heard dell didn't like when users try to fix their laptop. I can even provide the picture of the damage that had been repaired by the previous owner.

Thanks

10 Posts

October 21st, 2013 11:00

Here's the link to the pictures of the Hinge Repair.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7fmnyw3vPxld3o5Z2NjVnpsTE0&usp=sharing

See closely at the picture, you can see the brass exposing through the glue so you can see that the hinge had ripped out and the previous owner applied glue to put the hinge back on.

However, the previous owner also glued the metal base to the hinge too.

10 Posts

October 21st, 2013 14:00

I am located in NY, USA. 

901 Posts

October 21st, 2013 14:00

What country are you in - that will have a lot to do with weather you can get it repaired for free

• 

2.7K Posts

October 21st, 2013 15:00

Hello DrClone!

I can send me a PM with your service tag, I will check if there is a way for us to help you.  

901 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 06:00

DrClone - I have absolutely no idea what the consumer laws are in the USA. I think they may be able to help you with Manufacturing defects/Faults.With my suspicious nature I personally would be more likely to believe someone/thing who has no conflict of interest like a Government Agency, than a Dell Rep (No offence intended)

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 09:00

I'm actually wondering the same thing.  I bought a new Alienware desktop, and I am cleaning out my M11x to give to my sister for her first laptop.  My problem with it is that both hinges are essentially destroyed, 4 out of the 6 screws have broken the plastic housing that they connect to, but the metal hinges themselves are fine.

I'm looking forward to an answer on this as well! (I live in Wisconsin)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 12:00

The Dell policy dictates that we would only fix out of warranty M11x hinges up to 6 months past the originally purchased warranty end date. Once past that date, you would have to purchase a replacement LCD assembly which houses the hinges and have a local technician do the work. You will have to do an internet search for 3rd party resellers. Dell no longer has any of the M11x LCD assemblies in stock.

Q: The onsite technician said that the hinges are a manufacturing defect?
A: An onsite technician cannot make a Dell policy decision. He cannot define a "manufacturing defect". All he can do is replace the parts we tell him to replace. We decide what a manufacturing defect is or is not.

Q: I bought the Alienware Accidental Damage warranty, Dell should fix these hinges!
A: That is incorrect. What does the Alienware Accidental Damage cover?
Covered =
* Liquid spilled on or in unit
* Drops, falls, and other collisions
* Electrical surge

Not covered =
* Intentional acts of damage done by you or anyone else
* Fire
* Theft or loss
* Normal wear and tear (hinges, bent AC adapter cabling, keyboard keys)
* Consumables (batteries, LEDs)

No Events found!