Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 8th, 2013 00:00

Alienware M14x Freezing on Startup

My laptop (running Windows 7) recently started freezing at startup, just before it reaches the login screen. The computer doesn't BSOD and I have to hold the power button to get out of it. I've run startup repair and system recovery without any success. When running diagnostics at startup all tests passed except the hard drive. The test produced the following event data: "Fail PSA V4206 Error 2000:01 42. Hard Drive 0 - S/N S2TBJB0C272456, self test unsuccessful. Status = 79" Not really sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need additional info let me know.

1.5K Posts

March 8th, 2013 05:00

Hi J7EAJ7,

Welcome to the community.

I would like to inform you that it would be better you re install the windows on the system. You can find the instructions for re installing at the link below:

PC restore

http://dell.to/ZDBd6D

Reinstall

http://dell.to/QpuTLy

If after re installation if you face any issues then harddrive of the system would require replacement. If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

March 11th, 2013 16:00

Thanks for the input Sandeep. 0142 is an error that could be caused due to a log in the BIOS that tells the computer that something is wrong with the hard drive. To clear this log you need to re-seat the hard drive. If the issue remains equal you will probably need a hard drive replacement.

August 14th, 2013 02:00

I have the same issue with my new M14X, running windows 8 too.. should reinstall windows as well???

're-seat' means re-install windows?

Thanks

August 14th, 2013 02:00

says WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.. whats does that mean?

1 Message

December 9th, 2013 07:00

Hey just wanted to say this method worked  for me, I had the same problem with my Alienware x51 and I just replugged the harddrive, popped it back in and it worked fine after that. Thanks for the Tip!

Joe

No Events found!