Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2014 14:00

Alienware M14xR2 shuts down when battery is plugged in but works without the battery

Yesterday, when I turned on my Alienware M14x R2, I noticed that down in the battery icon on my taskbar it said Battery plugged in but not charging. My computer was recognizing that the battery was plugged in as well as my AC adapter but it wasn't charging my battery. I shut down my laptop, took out the battery, checked for damage on the battery's connections, and plugged it back into my laptop. When I restarted my computer, it turned on, I got the initial loading screen with the progress bar, and then it came up with a message saying Battery plugged in, Not Charging. It gave me two options: press F1 to continue normally, and press F2 to bring up a menu where I could see the computer's properties. I pressed F1 and my computer immediately shut down. If I remove the battery, however, the computer will turn on and work normally, as long as I have my battery plugged in. I was doing some research online and noticed that I am running BIOS A09 and that the latest BIOS is A13 but unfortunately, I am unable to update it as I can't run my computer with the battery in it. My battery is fully charged and the 5 LED's on the battery itself are lit up.

Please, if you have any idea what is happening let me know! Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks again!

Clayton O'Hanlon

1.8K Posts

June 11th, 2014 12:00

Hi!

Please check if the AC adapter LED light is solid ON or if it flickers or fades out when you connect it to the laptop. Then access the BIOS and check if the AC adapter type says "Unknown" or 150W. These symptoms could indicate a Motherboard or AC adapter failure.

Please update the thread when you have this information. 

June 11th, 2014 19:00

The AC Adapter is fine and the light is on. I checked my BIOS and it said [150W] so that shouldn't be the problem. The fact that the laptop is running solely off the charger means that the motherboard is still getting power so that shouldn't be the problem. The thing I'm wondering is why won't the computer work with the battery in and the charger in. The computer should still be getting power from the charger but it just shuts down immediately. The only thing I can think of would be a dead cell in the battery but it's still odd that it's showing full charge.

1.8K Posts

June 12th, 2014 15:00

Please send me a private message with your Service Tag, contact information and the link to this thread so I can review your case. 

15 Posts

November 8th, 2015 14:00

I have a similar issue, even a new battery does not resolve the problem.

No Events found!