Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2013 15:00

Alienware M17x R3 Power Plug Issue

While playing a game yesterday all of a sudden my computer started flashing its brightness at me.

I looked up in the corner my FPS was fluxing from 70 fps to 12 fps

i closed the game and preceded to notice that the computer was recognizing the AC adapter than not in 1 second increments.

I tried :

powerdown and up no fix

unplugging connector from laptop no fix

unplugged AC adapter from surge no fix

jiggling the cable no fix

remove battery and plug back in no fix

The AC adapter plug has small crack i noticed in plastic near where the led light glows.

I've had the computer about a year and half now. I ordered a new 240 watt Ac adapter

any suggestions on what i should check next

i don't want a 2k paper weight

953 Posts

May 14th, 2013 01:00

Hi Awintis,

As there is a crack in the AC Adapter plug, this might be the cause of the problem you are facing. However, I would like to know which light you are referring to. Are your referring to the barrel (portion that connects to the computer) as seen in the image below?

5074.AC_Adapter.jpg 

If it is the light shown in the image above, the damage can be the cause of the problem. Before you replace the AC adapter please note the following specifications about the AC adapter:

Alienware M17x R3 uses a 240W AC - Adapter if it is ordered with Dual graphics cards and/or Intel Core i7 processor; else system will use the 150W AC - Adapter.

If it is any other light you are referring to, please mention the same in your reply.

Please revert for clarification.

3 Posts

May 14th, 2013 14:00

Hey Zohaib

I have the I7 so i ordered the 240w,

its the barrel, this in the picture below you can see the crack also its same on the other side of the connector.

i visually inspected the dc jack don't see any issues so hoping its just a damaged AC Adapter.

talked to a company that repairs dc jacks and i guess the m17x is a frequent customer.

5280.2013-05-14 13.25.51.jpg

953 Posts

May 15th, 2013 00:00

Hi Awintis,

Another good idea will be to check with a known good AC Adapter of same wattage for the same machine. If any friend of yours has the same machine with same wattage of AC Adapter, please try borrowing the AC Adapter and testing your computer with the same. This will eliminate the possibility of any other hardware failure.

Keep us posted with the results.

3 Posts

May 15th, 2013 14:00

i do not know anyone with same charger, but my new charger arrived today and its now working like a champ

thank you for you help

much appreciated!

953 Posts

May 16th, 2013 05:00

Hi Awintis,

Glad we could help. In case of a similar situation in future, feel free to reach out to us on SDC for any help.

No Events found!