Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 24th, 2012 19:00

Alienware M17x R3 screen refuses to dim/brighten

So I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING with this and I am just overly frustrated. I am running Win 7 64bit and updated with all drivers. I have gone to the AMD site and tried downloading everything I could and restarting multiple times with no success. My screen WILL NOT dim/brighten no matter what I do. Using the FN keys or even going to the brightness settings do nothing. PLEASE help me!

835 Posts

November 27th, 2012 09:00

The only fix for that issue is to roll back to Dell's drivers, the AMD drivers for some reason block that feature. Here's an article with the steps on how to perform a clean driver installation properly:

Alienware: Video Driver Clean Installation

835 Posts

November 26th, 2012 12:00

Hello Ailareza,

Try re-installing the On-Screen Display driver following the steps in this article:

Alienware Laptops not showing the On-Screen Display icon when pressing the function keys 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Let me know how it goes.

10 Posts

November 26th, 2012 15:00

The function keys display on the screen, and so does the bar to change the brightness. But nothing happens. It does not dim or get brighter. It just stayed the same. I have even reset the power settings to default to see if that worked. I also updated the BIOS from the drivers page here. But nothing has worked.

10 Posts

November 27th, 2012 15:00

Thank you SO much! As soon as I uninstalled the AMD driver I was able to change the brightness. I restarted the computer and it reinstalled and the brightness is fixed! Thank you SO MUCH! I wish I could hug you, I have been searching for WEEKS on how to fix this!

I do wonder if ALL the updates for AMD will do this, though? Battlefield 3 told me about 2-3 weeks ago that I had to update my drivers. Once I did, the message stopped but that was when I began noticing the brightness issue. Should I just wait for the "beta" version of their driver to be official before downloading it?

835 Posts

November 29th, 2012 15:00

haha you are very welcome, I'm always happy to help.

I'm not sure why they block that but hopefully there will be an update that will allow it.

1 Message

August 31st, 2013 13:00

Hello I have tried this twice and nothing seems to work.  The only display drivers that show up under device manager are the NVidia ones. I'm currently at a loss, my brightness is set to 100% and I can do nothing about it.  This causes my battery to drain rather quickly. Please help!

No Events found!