Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2011 13:00

Alienware M17xR2 - Graphic Card Upgrades

Hey all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but for the like of me i cna't find a stright answer.

I have a m17xr2 with GTX 285m SLI, can i upgrade that to anything newer? If so, which card?

Cheers,

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 25th, 2011 09:00

The following video cards are validated in the M17x-R2
35RJH Nvidia GTX285m (requires 240w adapter and Clarksfield CPU)
V4THJ Nvidia GTX285m SLI (requires 240w adapter and Clarksfield CPU)
2TKKD AMD HD4870m
2YVP1 AMD HD4870m CFX (requires 240w adapter)
C8245 AMD HD5870m
RV546 AMD HD5870m CFX (requires 240w adapter)

13 Posts

April 27th, 2011 13:00

yes... i read that already.

Well i already have GTX285m, i want to update it to somethting better. Arn't the alienware laptops supposed to be so awesome because you can keep upgrading them like a desktop? Hence they are called mobile desktops rather than laptops?

I must say, i paid a lot of money and so-far it has been a rather disappointing result.

Oh well. Cheers,

13 Posts

April 27th, 2011 13:00

Will upgrades be possible sometime in the future?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 27th, 2011 14:00

I surely don't know, but it seems to me the limiting factors are:

1. Only 240w PS . Even a low-end desktop comes with a 350w.

2. Physical space. Video cards get bigger and sometimes need larger fans (especially the high-end ones)

... and I'm sure there are other reasons. Basically, the problem is that it is a laptop.

It sounds like a nice machine. However, if you want something better, I think you might have to sell that one and put that money towards a new one. If you don't have to game while portable, you might consider a nice desktop and a budget laptop (or keep the M17-r2 for that purpose).

13 Posts

April 27th, 2011 14:00

Hey there!

Thanks for the reply, well i don't really need to game at all, I'm a graphic designer(3d), that's why the graphic cards are so important to me for real-time rendering (Like 3ds max viewports with 1mill+ polygon object and a ton of objects or testing out in-game real-time graphics),and since i do need to show my work and i am on the move a lot i figured i might as well just buy a high-end laptop, because being tied down to a desktop is really limiting for my field of work.

Would it be possible that sometime in the future we could install other MOBILE graphic cards? For example a newer NVidia mobile graphics card.

Other specs of the system i am pretty happy with, Processing and RAM and hard-disk space are all really good, the graphics card is just under par with all the other hardware and this was the best graphics card i could choose.

Don't get me wrong it is a pretty good laptop, but for the money it cost i could have bought two(or three) laptops and i was expecting a little more flexibility from it.

1 Message

May 19th, 2011 00:00

Hi, my Alienware M17x R2 came with an Nvidia GTX285m videocard onboard. I wish to upgrade to the dual-sli option and:

1) can't find any way on dell support or parts site to order the 2nd (Nvidia GTX285m) card along-with sli cable - or even just the SLI cable

2) can't find any way to purchase the 240 watt PSUP. And do I need one? The stock PS that came with my laptop says its D/P/N: 0J40AP

Can you provide part numbers for:

GTX285m SLI

SLI CABLE

240W Adapter.

My machine is already core i7 clarksfield.

Thanks.

No Events found!