Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2015 11:00

Alienware R17 default HDD configuration - C Drive too small!

I just purchased and rec/d my new Alienware R17 and after attempting to install a few regular applications like office365 I'm OUT OF HARD DRIVE SPACE on my C Drive?!

I bought a Laptop with a 1TB Drive and for some reason its configured with a 100GB C (boot) Crive and a 1TB D (Data) Drive. BUt there is no way to default many apps and user settings to the Larger D drive.

How am I supposed to use this laptop??

Heres the info from the dell configuration showing the issue:

Drive
C:
Type
Drive Size
110.1GB
Total Available Space
3.8GB
Used Space
106.3GB
Drive
D:
Type
Drive Size
931.4GB
Total Available Space
661.5GB
Used Space
269.9GB

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 14th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

It seems like you have a 128 SSD as the primary drive and a 1TB HDD as the secondary drive. It would make sense for the primary drive to be almost full if you are using over 100GB of space. When you install a program/application into your computer, it should let you choose the destination where you want to install the program/application, that’s when you have to choose the D: drive as the destination. This way you will not fill up the primary C: drive. We recommend you install anything like games, programs, movies/videos and pictures into your D: drive.

2 Posts

September 14th, 2015 10:00

I already know how to do that, but the issue is that Im using services like Office365 where the product installs itself to the C drive without any options to change. And services like One drive that have the option to sync files to your drive, while I pointed them to the D:\drive, they are apparently storing something in the C:\Users path as are most all other apps regardless of actual install path.

and the Windows update is apparently downloading and storing the update files under my user profile as there is a folder over 45GB in there?

SO I have no control over the user related file settings that are auto stored on C and the small 100BG Drive is not nearly enough room as copnfigured.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 15th, 2015 10:00

Hi, 

Windows updates will be stored in the C: drive because that is where you have the operating system installed. However, 45GB seems like a lot for just that, you may have something else in that folder. You will have to check what exactly is taking up so much space and try to move it to the D drive. Take a look at this thread from the Microsoft Community forum, some users confirm ways of installing Office 365 on a secondary drive.

1 Message

November 13th, 2015 16:00

I hope there is a solution to this. I have just tried to migrate my files and programs to the new machine and it wont allow it due to lack of disk space. The software for the transfer doesnt allow for an alternative drive other than C to be used. This machine was bought as an urgent replacement for my business and it is useless to me at the moment.

No Events found!