Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 21st, 2014 18:00

Alienware X51. PC to TV problem

I'm using a 42 inch Vizio as my monitor to save money but I don't think this PC is running on the GTX 745 graphics card. I'm using the HDMI port at the top of the tower to connect to the TV. I have little knowledge about this stuff but I believe the silver panel ports at the bottom are my graphics card ports. The PC did not come with any cords to connect to anything. 

Can someone fix this setup for me? 

I've come to the conclusion that it's not working due to a game where the images where "blocky" and they told me to go to NVIDIA control panel but when I clicked it, it said you are not using a display attached to the GPU. 

10 Posts

June 22nd, 2014 14:00

The HDMI port on the top, rear of your PC is tied to the Intel HD Graphics that are integrated with the newer Core i-series processors. It will output to full HD but will not provide the type of graphics one would want for intensive gaming. You are correct that the ports at the bottom, rear of your PC come from your distinct graphics card, this is where you should connect your TV for the best graphics results. If your X51 is like mine, the HDMI port on the graphics card is blocked; however, you should have a DisplayPort on the back (looks similar to a large USB port, but one corner is angled instead of squared off). You can purchase a simple DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from Amazon for about $11.00 (I bought and use this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BV75SI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which will allow you to connect your X51 to your TV for the best possible graphics performance with the least amount of settings tweaking or other hassles. I hope this helps. :-)

1.8K Posts

June 23rd, 2014 12:00

Hi!

As GarfieldFan pointed out above, the top video ports correspond to the Motherboard (integrated graphics) and the bottom ones to the NVIDIA GPU (discrete graphics). Make sure there's no dust cover on the bottom ports and try using a different cable or adapter. 

June 26th, 2014 15:00

I was losing hope that I would find someone who could help me with this. You sir, are awesome. Thank you.

10 Posts

June 26th, 2014 18:00

You are very welcome, I am glad I could be of help.

10 Posts

July 5th, 2014 15:00

Your graphics card is different than the one in my X51 R2, I have a DisplayPort (the slanted corner one), a DVI, what looks like a cross between a DVI and an old-school VGA port, and an HDMI port that has a rubber cover on it with the universal circle and line symbol for "restricted" stamped on it. I read somewhere that this particular card cannot use the HDMI because it is incompatible with the HDMI run by the integrated Intel graphics, I don't know if this is true but it would explain why the port on the card is blocked from use. If your graphics card has an HDMI port (at the bottom rear of your case, next to the other ports you mention) then you should be able to connect that to an HDMI port on your TV, rather than buying this adapter. I thought your initial post mentioned only having an HDMI port at the top rear of your case, which made me think your graphics card was similar to mine. If you have an HDMI port at the bottom rear of your case, that is from your discreet graphics card and will provide you with excellent gaming graphic performance to your TV. However, if you only have an HDMI on the top rear of your machine, the adapter I mentioned or one like it will give you better performance. Ports on your TV marked RGB are there for interfacing with older equipment that do not support connections like HDMI.

July 5th, 2014 15:00

I have a little concern before I buy this. You said the HDMI port on the graphics card is block. By blocked do you mean physically or that it just won't work? I tried using the HDMI port on the graphics card and my tv said it was not supported. I'm wondering if I'll get the same message when I used the other port that has a slant in it. 

On the back of my TV theres a square that says RGB PC with an RGB port. Would I HAVE to use that or would it work if I plugged it into one of the HDMI ports. 

My graphics card has a HDMI(Which is upside down), that one with the slant and a DVI port. 

November 14th, 2014 17:00

Guys, i'm having a similar problem.

My computer looks exactly like that: gyazo.com/2312a9a201452370fca350731b80a359

I believe that the lower HDMI port is a min-HDMI instead, by the size. Anyway, I bought a adapt to plug my HDMI cable on Displayport, but It doesn't work. When I restart using only display port I can't see any image.

My question is: should I remove the cap from the GPU mini HDMI port and try connect directly from it? I'm really frustrated to use the onboard card in a computer that I bought exclusively to play games.

Best!

10 Posts

November 14th, 2014 17:00

Lucas,

Your GPU looks exactly the same as mine. Since first discussing this post, I chose to disable the on-board Intel Graphics, then removed the plastic cover over the GPU's HDMI port and use that to connect to my TV. I believe that Dell has an arrangement with Intel to keep other (more high end) GPU ports from being used via HDMI in favor of using the Intel Graphics. However, I find the picture is better with a noticeable improvement in color saturation and color reproduction when using the GPU over the on-board graphics for TV connection. There is a tiny screw that holds the plastic cover in place, remove the screw and the cover will pull right out of the port. It is a full-size HDMI port as well, so you will not need an adapter. I now use my television as a second screen and play multimedia files (recorded TV, digital movie copies, etc.) while I perform other functions on my main monitor. I do not play many games but I imagine that doing so on my larger TV rather than my smaller monitor would be a much better experience as well. :-)

No Events found!