Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2016 20:00

Alienware X51 R2 Keyboard Commands

I'm running the OEM Alienware keyboard on my X51 R2 which is upgraded to WIN 10 64bit.   I noticed recently that Num Lock is not enabled on boot up despite the fact that the BIOS is enabled to turn it on.

Furthermore, I noticed that the Function Buttons at the top of my keyboard seem to open the wrong apps. I don't know how to program/fix these buttons.

Any ideas on how to resolve the above?

Thanks,
Herb...

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 8th, 2016 13:00

Hi, 

I haven’t heard about this being a known issue but apparently several people have experienced the same issue with Windows 10, it seems like Windows disables Num Lock at boot up. I found this thread from the Microsoft Community forum with several suppose fixes for this issue. Some users have confirmed the fixes were successful. 

30 Posts

March 9th, 2016 07:00

Fantastic, Rodrigo!  Problem is now solved.   I had to do the Registry Edit as suggested in the Microsoft Community forum to fix it.

Regardless, this is NOT a keyboard problem but a Windows 10 problem!

Cheers!

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 9th, 2016 10:00

Hello, 

Thank you for confirming this, I’m glad you were able to fix it. Let us know if you require further assistance.  

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2016 13:00

Hi, 

Check in the Programs and Features list to confirm if you show an application called Alienware On Screen DisplayApplication or OSD. If you do show it, uninstall it and restart the system, then proceed to install the OSD application again. Click here for the OSD application download link. If it does not show on the Programs and Features list, install it and then test the function keys again. 

30 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 15:00

The installation failed.  Are you sure this is compatible with the X51 R2 because it's not listed in "Compatible Systems?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 4th, 2016 13:00

Hi, 

You’re right, I must have confused your Alienware with one of our laptops. I’m sorry about that, please disregard my previous post. Try reinstalling the Alienware Command Center application. Click here for the Command Center download link. Make sure to uninstall it first from the Programs and Features list, then restart the system and install it again. Let us know how it goes. 

30 Posts

March 4th, 2016 14:00

OK ... the Alienware Command Center app was uninstalled and reinstalled.   Looks like it was successful.

However, while the little command buttons at the top appear to be opening the right app, I was wondering:

1) Can I re-map the buttons to open/close different apps than the ones assigned
2) Why does the keyboard turn off NUM LOCK when booting (the BIOS is set to turn on).  On initial boot-up the NUM LOCK key is lit but then - just at the end - it turns off.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 7th, 2016 13:00

Hi, 

Thank you for confirming this. 

1) Unfortunately, there is no way of doing this. 

2) So when the system boots into Windows, you cannot use the NUM LOCK keys? What type of keyboard are you using?

30 Posts

March 7th, 2016 16:00

1) That's too bad

2) I am using the stock Alienware X51 R2 wired keyboard that comes with the machine.  And, yes, even though the BIOS is set to turn NUM LOCK on, Windows 10 seems to turn it off on boot up (I can see the lighted icon on the keyboard turn off)  - very weird.

Herb...

No Events found!