Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2012 17:00

Alienware X51 Restore

How do I restore my machine back to factory default? My last alienware had an app called Alienware Spawn which I used but I don't see anything like that on this machine?

Do I have to wipe it out from stratch?

What is the EFI System Partation? Is it safe to delete? Also what is the DellUtlity Paration used for? Is that safe to delete?

If I have to redo from stratch what do I have to do?

182 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 00:00

DO NOT DELTE DellUtility Partition !

Do not DELTE EFI System Partion !

The EFI System partition is a partition on a data storage device that is used by machines that adhere to the Extensible Firmware Interface. It contains the boot loader programs for all operating systems installed (in other partitions) on the device, device driver files (used by the firmware at boot time) for other devices, and system utility programs that are intended to be run before an operating system is booted

To restore your machine back to factory default

Instructions

Back up any important files from your computer. Since the utility partition will restore the computer to its state when you first purchased the computer, any files you added since then will be lost. Either move your files to a portable hard drive or burn them to a CD or DVD.

To connect the hard drive, insert one end of a USB cable into your hard drive and the other end into a USB port on your computer. Then drag or copy any files from your computer to the hard drive. To burn a CD or DVD, insert the blank disc. A window will pop up asking what you wish to do with the disc. Select "Burn files to a CD/DVD" and follow to prompts to burn the disc.

Unplug any unnecessary accessories. This includes any printers, external hard drives or other USB devices.

Restart your computer. Select "Start," "Shut Down," then "Restart" for Dell computers running Windows XP or earlier. Windows Vista and Windows 7 users can click the Microsoft logo on the taskbar, click the arrow next to the "Shut Down" button and then click "Restart."

Press and release the "Ctrl" and "F11" buttons when the Dell BIOS screen appears. The BIOS screen is the screen with the Dell logo that first appears when your computer starts. This will open the utility partition menu.

Select "Restore" when the Dell PC Restore menu appears. This will start the restoration process. Follow the prompts that appear until the process is complete. This will restore the system to include the settings and software included when you first purchased the computer.

28 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 04:00

I tried the "ctrl" and f11" keys at the alienware bios screen and had no luck. Still went into windows. Tried it twice.

182 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 06:00

First turn on the computer, when the screen appears press and hold ‘Ctrl’ and ‘F11’. If your operating system is Windows Vista or Windows 7, you will have to press ‘F8’ during start-up, then specify the language and login as a user with administrative rights. Click ‘Ok’ and choose ‘Dell Factory Image Restore’

182 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 07:00

mmm  strange  make sure  you are doing  at the right time!

182 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 07:00

Ok try F8

Article Summary: A how to for restoring your computer to factory conditions using the Windows 7 Operating System.

This article is for Microsoft Windows 7:

Click here to change the Operating System

Table of Contents:

Step 1: Backup important files & data.

Step 2: Remove non-essential peripherals

Step 3: Restore the computer's software to original condition.

Step 4: Restore your personal files and data from backups.

Notice:

Dell has designed two new backup and restore programs, see below for the details:

Dell Inspirons, Studios, and XPS Systems use DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 as the PC Restore/Factory Image Restore option as of April 22, 2009.

Click here if your computer is an Inspiron, Studio, or XPS

Dell OptiPlex, Latitude, Vostro, and Precisions use Dell Backup and Recovery Manager as the PC Restore/Factory Image Restore option as of May 26, 2009.

Click here if your computer is an OptiPlex, Latitude, Vostro, or Precision

Step 1: Backup important files & data.

Click the link below for instructions on how to backup important files and data.

Click here for instructions on how to back up files.

Step 2: Remove non-essential peripherals

Except for the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, remove all external peripherals including:

Note:

An external peripheral is a device that connects to a port on the front, side or back of the computer, like a printer or memory key.

Scanner

Printer

Modem or Network cables

Personal Digital Assistant (PDA)

USB flash drive or other external Hard Drive

Any other external devices (e.g., USB-attached devices)

Remove the computer from the docking station, if you are using one.

Step 3: Restore the computer's software to original condition.

Using Dell Factory Image Restore in Windows 7

Notice:

Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost.

1    Turn on the computer.

2   As the computer starts, press on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.

Note:

You must press before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.

3    Press the on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press .

4    Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.

5    Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.

6    Click Dell Factory Image Restore.

7    In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.

8    Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.

9    Click Next.

The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.

10    When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.

The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received. Back to Top

Step 4: Restore your personal files and data from backups

Click the link below for instructions on how to restore your files from a backup.

Click here for instructions on how to restore your filesBack to Top

Windows 7, restore, factory settings, PC Restore, Win 7, reboot, factory

28 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 14:00

neither option is there. I tried ctrl f11 again and that did nothing and I did the f8, repair, logged and there is no option for dell factory restore. I am starting to think there is no way to restore.

182 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 14:00

Hi cold77

Well   for as long you have your hidden restore partition there I don't see why not, you better  call Dell and let us know.

I did some google for you and that is all i found, I don't have the x51 jet i only have the m14x and when i did restore dint have any problem

Do you have  AlienRespawn v2.0?

That will erase all data on the hard drive and will return the system to the default factory settings (similar to the Alienware factory)

If you have that programs that comes with Alienware, ones you are happy  with all your settings  you can use it to make a back up of you system and if something goes run u can put your system back with this  program, also you can use it to restore to factory settings as he will  find  the hidden partition for you

182 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 16:00

MMM  X51 is  getting better  and better, this is the first time in my 40 years with pc that i found  out there is no restore partition

My 8 months old m14x has one

try this Dell DataSafe 

28 Posts

Talked with Dell and they want to charge me for that info. Someone please help. I am not paying money for that info.

28 Posts

Not on my machine and when I tried it there is was nothing to restore too. Really seems like there isn't one. Really wish someone from Dell would answer this post. I have no problem killing the machine manual but I really don't understand what the EFI is for and DellUtilty since I can get into them. Really what is the point of either one of them.

28 Posts

I don't believe there is a hidden partition. I checked the disk manager and there isn't one. I don't think they provide a way to restore anymore.

My computer didn't come with AlienRespawn and when I tried to installed off of the site it wouldn't let me

182 Posts

cold77

Can you check out for me if we can OC the GTX 555 you can try  with Eva Precision google it  and use it, as i been searching over the net and no one has try OC the GTX555  and im wandering  why not  thanks

182 Posts

March 23rd, 2012 11:00

So?   What is DELL doing?

The Alienware x51  hard drive is loaded with the recovery software that cant be utilize   WHY IS LOADED THEN IF IS USELESS????

10 Posts

I was informed by Alienware that the X51 was utilizing the UEFI and the hard drive was partitioned in the GPT scheme. As of right now, their software is only set to work with the MBR partioning. Even though  the hard drive was loaded with the recovery software and such there is no way for the hard drive to utilize it since it is GPT.

10 Posts

Also EFI System Partition is created on all GPT partitioned HDs. Alienrespawn is also incompatible with GPT.

No Events found!