Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2015 14:00

Alienware X51 power up problem

I am hoping someone could help me out on my power up problem on X51.

After I pressed the power button, the tower now takes 2 go to turn on (Lights on > off > lights on again) and 50% of the time my screen remains in black (no signal).

To overcome the black screen problem at the moment by I have to keep restarting manually until I am in luck then everything just works as normal. It is a bit frustrating as sometime it takes many times before the unit eventually boot up.

I ran the dell system test and it is telling the unit is in good health. O.o

Can someone point me in the direction on whether this is a hardware or software problem and solution if possible?

Many thanks

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 17th, 2015 09:00

Hello, 

Please share the operating system installed. Try draining the residual charge from the system. Here are the steps:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer including the power supply.
  • Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
  • Reconnect the power supply. Try to restart the computer and check.

Also, run diagnostics on the system to confirm hardware functionality. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.

Let us know how it goes. 

August 17th, 2015 13:00

Hi Rodrigo,

Thanks for the information.

I am on Windows 7 Home Premium and before I experience the current issue I was in the process of updating Bios in Windows from A06 to A07... the program instructed me to restart which I click "restart" and now I am stuck with this problem ever since...

I managed carry out the draining of the residual charge unable to carry out the diagnostic... Now the tower power up with continuous beeping noise (non-stop) and still black screen.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 18th, 2015 09:00

How are you connecting your monitor? For example, are you using an HDMI or DVI cable? Also, is the system making a certain number of beeps and then a pause or just constant beeps? If you are using an HDMI cable to connect your monitor, make sure to connect the HDMI cable in both the on-board HDMI port at the upper part of the system and the discrete video card port at the lower part to confirm if it does the same thing on both ports. 

August 19th, 2015 09:00

Hi Rodrigo,

I normally connect my tower to monitor via DVI cable. I have already tried connecting the via HDMI cable on both graphic card socket and also Motherboard socket and still black screen.

The beeping is constant.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 19th, 2015 15:00

Hello,

Click here to view a post from Chris that explains how to clear the CMOS jumper on this system, it may help with this issue.

August 20th, 2015 16:00

Hi Rodrigo,

Thanks. I have done that and I think I have done that right as the tower light colour now revert back to factory setting. Unfortunately there is still no display and continuous beep...

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 21st, 2015 15:00

Hello, 

Thanks for confirming that. It appears this could be more of a hardware problem, possibly with the motherboard. You have already tried the recommended troubleshooting procedures. If your system is still in warranty, send me a PM with your service tag for further assistance.

No Events found!