Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2017 08:00

Alienware command center update? It seems to not be working after the creator's update.

After installing the creator's update for win10 the alienware command center and temperature stats do not seem to be working at all. I try and run the program and it simply will not open.

Not sure if an update is planned or not.

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 15th, 2017 10:00

What Alienware make and model?

What version of Command Center, and have you tried a clean-install?

Someone else mentioned similar problem with Alienware 15-R2 laphttps://community.dell.com/thread/24008-alienware-15-r2-alienware-software-and-windows-10-creators-update" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer nofollow ugc">https://community.dell.com/message/128036-alienware-15-r2-alienware-software-and-windows-10-creators-update

4 Posts

April 15th, 2017 13:00

I'm using an R5 and I have been using command center that is v 4.6.18.0 and I have re-installed it and the application will still not open. I can still use the tray functions to change light color and brightness. This is also an issue with the OC controls v1.0.2.0 will not open as well.

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 15th, 2017 14:00

Thanks for the details.

Now that's Creator's Update is officially released (and presumably being deployed by auto-updates) ...

hopefully Alienware will post a new/fixed version for us.

4 Posts

I tried both approaches for the commandcenter.exe and used the troubleshooter with no result, the program simply won't launch. Exiting the progam from the tray and re-launching it does not put it back in the windows tray. The compatibility troubleshooter says this program is incompatible. http://imgur.com/a/LPDAf

i have two ideas. maybe one of them works.

1. right click > run as admin

2. right click > Properties > Compatibility > Windows 8 (or higher if possible)

please report back if it works or not.

regards

CBL

April 17th, 2017 04:00

i have no idea what's going on with your CC.

maybe there is some part of additional software missing. Net Framework for example. not sure what CC needs to run.

757 Posts

April 17th, 2017 05:00

I had a similar issue with a different program. The fix was to "install" the program using the "administrator's" rights and not just selecting install.

28 Posts

April 17th, 2017 07:00

Hi Tesla,

CC does need .net Framework to function properly, however am fairly sure the Creators update has the latest framework. When you uninstall the CC you also need to remove all files/folders left behind before installing clean, reinstalling with admin as suggested may help.

Try this:

Delete folders:
C:\Program Files\Alienware
C:\Program Files (x86)\Alienware (if present)

Search the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Alienware

Delete the following folders only: (Some of these may not be present, just delete the ones present)

AlienFXMediaPlugin
Alienware AlienFX
CCPlugins
Command Center
Search the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Alienware

Delete the following folders only: (Some of these may not be present, just delete the ones present)

AlienFXMediaPlugin
Alienware AlienFX
Command Center

Restart the system.

Hope this helps

757 Posts

April 17th, 2017 08:00

Look in your documents folder for AlienFX or similar document/folder. Your CC Themes are located here and it may have been corrupted for whatever reason during update. 

Delete the Theme causing you trouble (most likely just one theme unless you created many) and go back into CC to set it back up and save it with a new name.

I transferred documents from my desktop to my R2 and my document folder had the desktop Theme which was not compatible with the R2. Deleting the themes and creating a new one for the laptop solved the issue.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 17th, 2017 11:00

Kayanwang wrote:

Hi Tesla,

1. CC does need .net Framework to function properly, however

2. am fairly sure the Creators update has the latest framework.

1. That is correct. Not sure what post you meant to Reply to, but I never questioned that.

2. Yes, all versions of Windows-10 should have the current version of Microsoft's Dot Net Framework installed. You would have to go out-of-your-way and try pretty hard to uninstall this Windows Component.

28 Posts

I was seconding a reply from Carbon about checking the software requirements, guess was unnecessary  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I was only commenting on the part of your message that I quoted.

I think the rest of your post (the detailed directions) add value and important troubleshooting steps to the thread.

28 Posts

April 17th, 2017 12:00

And I meant to reply to the original question and replied to yours hahaha, no worries, and sorry am noobie in the forums.

Actually I think the suggestion from might work, before following all the steps I recommended...

3 Posts

April 17th, 2017 19:00

I've been fighting this on a brand  new machine. I tried everything I could find on the forums. Nothing worked. I was ready to factory reset the machine and went into the bios by mistake. All I did was rest and save. As soon as it rebooted... everything went back to normal. No changes made. 

Press F8 at the Alien boot screen then F2 for setup. Left arrow to Exit and Reset and Save. Go with Yes.

Worked for me anyway.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 19th, 2017 16:00

You never said exactly what machine you have, but yes ... since you were several BIOS versions behind, the BIOS update might have been required for proper operation with Creator's Update installed (and not just a coincidence).

Anyway, glad to hear it's working better for you.

No Events found!