Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2010 12:00

[Alienware m11x] Dedicated GT 335M + external display = ???

Hellooooo

So I've been troubleshooting this for over a week now and I'm getting fairly frustrated.

Whenever I switch to the nvidia dedicated GPU I for some strange reason lose the ability to connect external displays to the m11x. This is a problem if I want to connect my drawing tablet and use Photoshop and other fairly intensive applications that eat the poor integrated intel chip for breakfast.

I CAN connect external displays with the intel graphics activated. This only happens when I switch over to dedicated nvidia graphics.

So far I've only tested the VGA port since I don't have any HDMI, DVI or displayport cables with me atm so I'm not 100% sure that this isn't a problem exclusive to the VGA port.

I've been switching drivers around at an attempt to fix this issue to no avail. As far as I know it has never worked as this is the first time I've tried using the VGA connection with the GT 335M activated.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

I've also been shopping the problem around on other forums. Like this thread

May 11th, 2010 02:00

By the way. Is anyone else having trouble sending a mail to dell technical support? Once I accept the license agreement i get an error telling me to try again later. Well I did and it still won't let me send a message to tech support.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 14th, 2010 12:00

We are looking into this external monitor issue.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 17th, 2010 07:00

NorthernAvengeR,

It's not normal. We could do external displays on ours. What is the status of this? Have you had any parts replaced.

1 Message

June 4th, 2010 00:00

I've got exactly the same problem, except I haven't tested video cables yet. Mine seems to last a bit longer, with maybe 5 mins of gameplaying straight after a cold reboot, and maybe 10 mins of normal windows operation. Then it starts to break connection with the external monitor (LGE W2486) with increasing frequency until it nothing comes up, taking about 2-5 mins.

Is an RMA in order?

No Events found!