Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2012 18:00

Alienware m14x r2 Hot

Hi, i have a problem with mi new Alienware M14x r2 ( 2 months ), when i playing crisys 2, nfs most wanted 2012, and all demanded games my Laptop get warm on the keyboard, more on the right side and less in the ohter side but still warm, i check the temperatures and with the stress test with furmark in paralel ( 5 minutes test ) the CPU went to 95º celsius and gpu max 68º ( i think the GPU is normal ), i did a repaste with Artic Cooling MX-4 and the temps down between 80º and 88º CPU, and still warm the keyboard. All is clean, the vents and eveything is cleaned with air compressed.

I saw the grill back of the fan hitted on a side.

I bought the laptop in Mexico and im from Argentina, i need the information to contact the support from mexico.

6 Posts

November 5th, 2012 18:00

I forgot to tell that the fan is a little bit separated from the grill but the screws locked to the motherboard are fine, i mean the fan fix well on the holes of the motherboard.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

November 6th, 2012 11:00

Hello Kizus,

As you have mentioned that your computer is getting warm, I would suggest few steps which might fix the issue.Please follow the steps mentioned bellow.

1. Releasing flee Power.
Shut down the computer, disconnect the battery and ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 10 to 12 seconds and connect the battery and ac adapter and check.

2. Cleaning the Vents:
-- Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust thereby not allowing heat and air to pass through.
-- Turn off the System.
-- Unplug the AC Adapter.
-- Remove the Battery, for instructions on how to remove the battery see the Service Manual.
-- Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents.

3. Update the BIOS:
An out of date BIOS can cause heat issues by an outdated temperature table for the system.
Visit the Dell Drivers and Downloads website to get the update BIOS to your computer.
Please click the link provided below to get the drivers.
http://dell.to/QjjZDA
--Enter the service tag, and choose the operating system and download the latest BIOS version.
-- Restart the computer and check the functionality. 

4. Hardware Diagnostics Check:
-- Shut down the computer.
-- Disconnect all the peripherals from the computer.
-- Restart the computer and keep tapping F12.
-- It takes you to the One Time Boot Menu.
-- Select Diagnostics and press Enter.
If the test fails capture the error code and get back to us, I would assist you with the next course of action.

6 Posts

November 6th, 2012 14:00

I follow your steps and everything is fine, the vents are clear, the bios is update, no errors on the hardware diagnostics check, today i speak with a representant of dell, and he told me that the warranty don't cover the heatsink ( because was hitted, not by me, it came from factory like this) and i need to repleace the all heatsink + cooler, maybe is that the problem.

12 Posts

November 6th, 2012 20:00

Kzius,

I am also faced by the same experience as yours. I have a M14x that is 45 days old & have noticed this from the day one. I was not sure if this was an issue and never bothered to complain about it. Guess I will have to start tracking this post to figure out if there is actually a problem or if its acceptable on this alienware series.

6 Posts

November 7th, 2012 08:00

When i play games for 2 - 3 hours the laptop gets really hot in some spots : at the left of the power button (included the button), from the middle of keyboard and touchpad to the right.

The temps watched from HWINFO64 are 75º CPU and 65º GPU, before that with the fabric thermal paste was 80º CPU or avobe, i don't know why is so hot. The logo of Alienware on the Lcd panel i so hot too.

6 Posts

November 7th, 2012 19:00

I think i found the problem of the heat on the keyboard and fan rpm after playing games, this picture shows the temps after playing lineage 2 about 30minutes. The temps showed on the picture are idle, you can see the pch temperature high after rest the laptop 20 minutes. I think that is the problem, the heat from pch and no cooling system to low down the temperatures, what we can do about this ?

Here is the link of the pic:

imageshack.us/.../temppch.jpg

6 Posts

December 9th, 2012 13:00

bump

1 Message

January 24th, 2013 02:00

Hi i have the same laptop this is normal for these laptops to run hot when gaming because the cooling fan is on the bottom does not have enough room between the surface of the table its sitting on and the laptop so what i do only when gaming i put something under the back of laptop to lift it up about half an inch or a little more that way the fan has more room to suck in more air very simple and it works I have the I7-3630QM according to intel web site the max temp for this is 105C so if your getting 80c to 88c then i would not worry this is normal I get about 83c when playing crysis2 and battlefield3 with the laptop lifted from the back or you could use a laptop cooling pad hope this helps let me know thank you

No Events found!