Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

ER

March 20th, 2011 20:00

Alienware m15x "error while AlienFX Controller was communicating with the computer" - Lights Won't Change Colors

I've got an Alienware m15x about 3 months old, running Windows 7 64-bit. Whenever I turn it on I get this message:

"There was an error while AlienFX Controller was communicating with the computer. This might have been caused due to a problem with the hardware or the software.Try these solutions to correct the issue, in the following order:

- Try to enable AlienFX Controller again. Right-click on the AlienFX icon in the Windows notification area and select 'Enable Alienware AlienFX'.

- Shut down your computer and power it back on.

If neither of these solutions works, please contact Alienware technical support.

This error may also be caused if Alienware AlienFX software is installed on a computer without the proper hardware support for Alienware AlienFX."

All my lights are on, but I cannot make them change colors through the Command Center. I've tried to crate a new theme but still nothing. I made sure that the Command Center and Windows were both up to date. I installed .Net Framework 4.0, uninstalled then reinstalled the Control Center and still nothing. Any ideas what I should do? Thanks for any help in advance!

501 Posts

March 21st, 2011 05:00

The software itself told you what to do when it said "If neither of these solutions works, please contact Alienware technical support."

2 Posts

March 21st, 2011 15:00

I tried to access the My Hive support page from Alienware tech support, but was referred to support.dell.com as I had purchased my computer through Dell. From there I came hoping I would be able to get actual help and avoid spending an hour or so on hold and doing mindless over the phone support. 

5 Posts

April 11th, 2011 06:00

i have same problem ,,did you ever resolve this issue

1 Message

February 22nd, 2012 02:00

hi had this problem on 21 feb 2012 i have dell alienware m15x windows 7 home edition os 64 bit.

no idea why all of sudden i got and i checked many forums via google help

tried few like uninstall alienfx, cold boot etc., nothing worked.

so i went on and tried recovery from control panel using system restore point that of few days back when my alienfx worked smooth.

and after recovery all fixed. hope you had set system restore point if so you may have a chance to fix this problem.

Note: read about system restore point before using it. you might lose some updates etc.,

i had set recovery on my c drive alone, which was reserved for OS, s/w application installations etc., my downloads were on other partitions so i never lost them.

may not be same case for you if you have single drive.

for future use:

how to create system restore point?

A.  Control Panel -> System -> system protection -> read info on system properties window and you can use Create system restore point through Create button @ bottom.

hope this helps

No Events found!