Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2012 20:00

Alienware m17X R4 cd/dvd

Two days ago i recieved my brand new Alienware m17x R4, i am currently in Afghanistan and have limited internet access so bear with me ...

When i ordered the computer, i also ordered call of duty modern warfare 3, as something to pass the time. Well, when i insert the game disc into the CD/DVD slot, it stays in the maybe three seconds, then will spit it back out and not read it. I have tried other discs, no games, but i have tried data discs, and blank discs. Those dont seem to be an issue. But for some reason my drive wont even read this disc. I have had someone else try the disc on their laptop and it reads no problem. I have gone into device manager, tried to look up the drive, it just says "Basic CD ROM Drive", there is no brand name, anything, so i cant find the drivers to download and install to potentially fix the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I am getting frustrated that i just spent 2k on a laptop that i wont be able to use to its potential while i am here.

Thank you

- LT Dowd

3.8K Posts

June 24th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. It looks like its only reading CD's and not DVD's. Device manager should tell you if its a

CD/DVD drive. Going by what you see in device manager, it could just be a CD drive, hence its ejecting the Game DVD out. Try another DVD to see if it ejects it. Its strange, because I am pretty sure all of Dell's Alienware systems go out with a DVD basic drive.

Thank you

104 Posts

June 24th, 2012 02:00

Hey ,

go into your bio's ( on boot up press F2 ) and see whats listed on sata ood i believe * mine says DVDRW/BDROM , if it says CD drive then you need to contact AW to get it sorted for you .

Another problem could be a driver issue , maybe you could try to recover your system with discs supplied ( which are DVD's) just change your boot up on start ( press F12 ) and boot from DVD .

As for your games in the mean time , you could also use a steam account , all you do is input codes supplied with games and you caan download them and install them from your hard drive till you get your CD issue sorted ( internet connection required thou )

Hope my advice helps

Lee

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 24th, 2012 13:00

No Events found!