Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2012 07:00

Alienware m17x IGP switching problem

I have the following problem with my new Alienware m17x-R4.

When i am trying to switch between the integrated GPU and AMD 7970m using Fn+F7 keys my screen goes radiant green immediatly on the boot. I can log into OS and see the graphic cards changed from Intel HD to AMD but cannot do anything to get rid of the green screen (looks more like a green curtain above the screen). The problem disappears after i switch back to IGPU with Fn+F7. The games with IGPU switched on are running perfectly fine though giving smooth picture and high frame rates.

Any ideas if its AMD 7970m, OS or drivers' problem? 

December 20th, 2012 10:00

Hello dangarov,

It could be a drivers issue, I would recommend that you uninstall and reinstall the video drivers, try to use the latest one from the AMD website.

3 Posts

December 20th, 2012 22:00

Hi, Karen. Thanks for suggestion. I was trying to reinstall the latest drivers using the driver sweeper in the safe mode but was getting BSOD at the boot up. Should i do just plain uninstall-restart-reinstall?

January 2nd, 2013 14:00

dangarov

Where you able to uninstall and reinstall the video drivers? What's the status of your system?

3 Posts

January 10th, 2013 07:00

Karen, reinstalling the drivers did not help. Don't this this is the driver issue as this issue is present all the way through BIOS settings. Guess will need to call local Dell support to help fix this problem.

January 10th, 2013 14:00

Hello  dangarov,

Did you contact Dell support? if not send me a PM with your service tag, phone number please include the link for this thread and I'll get back to you.

1 Message

July 16th, 2013 06:00

I had this issue after my motherboard was replaced. I went to the dell Product Support website and ran the Dell PC Diagnostics on only my video cards.This then put both the Intel HD and the Geforce card through a series of rendering and memory tests. I ran these diagnostics whilst using the Intel HD card.

After this completed i then used Function + F7 to change the graphics card. In restart before booting down windows finished installing some updates and then the computer rebooted without the green screen.

I'm not sure if it was the dell diagnostics running the rendering and memory tests on the Geforce 680M card or if it was the windows updates. But this fixed the issue for me.

What i had tried previously:

Reinstalled the Intel and Nvidia drivers.

Disabled Secure Boot

No Events found!