Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2015 22:00

Alienware m17x R3 - Win 10 upgrade

Hi, 

I have an Alienware m17x R3 (2011) which came with Win7. Dell/Alienware did not bother to provide updated official drivers for Win8/8.1 on this model.

My question is, should I reserve an upgrade to Win10, will there be any driver support from Dell for this new OS or I'm just stuck with Win7 forever on this Alienware model?

Thank you!

10 Posts

July 29th, 2015 16:00

5 Posts

and so ??? my pc has only 4 years and I have never been able to update my OS because Dell does not offer monitoring of pilot! I missed windows 8, windows 10 I will miss! € 2,300 for! you lose a customer forever!

10 Posts

@TheJymboh

I feel with you - 4 years is nothing for a top notch product.

This is why Dell Alienware is supposed to be a top notch product!

By giving top quality service to the customers - Dell will lead the marked...

Not leaving them behind this way - It's a wrong path in my opinion.

Every product has a life-cycle - However an Alienware is a piece of art - an high end product!

Zippo lighters comes with a life time warranty for your consideration.

1 Message

July 30th, 2015 04:00

Will you test the M17x series for Windows 10 in near future? I bought my M17x in 2012 and for the price I paid for it I expect longtime support. It's only been 3 years and you don't care about these series anymore?? THAT'S UNACCEPTABLE DELL!!!

5 Posts

July 30th, 2015 06:00

Dell turned a deaf ear, and ignores its customers ... as to the release of Windows 8, I am very disappointed ...

10 Posts

July 30th, 2015 06:00

As I wrote - Even Zippo lighters comes with at life time warranty!

An Alienware from Dell is supposed to be a top notch quality product.

Dell - You should reconsider how you treat your loyal paying customers.

It is not acceptable. Dell should be ready with drivers for all high end products any time!

What kind of customer support is actually offered Dell?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 30th, 2015 09:00

My apologies but I can only relate to you the Dell policy.

Alienware laptops that do not have Windows 10 support or drivers =
Alienware M11x-R1 (2010)
Alienware M11x-R2 (2010)
Alienware M11x-R3 (2011)
Alienware M14x-R1 (2011)
Alienware M14x-R2 (2012)
Alienware M15x-R1 (2011)
Alienware M17x-R1 (2009)
Alienware M17x-R2 (2010)
Alienware M17x-R3 (2011)
Alienware M17x-R4 (2012)
Alienware M18x-R1 (2011)
Alienware M18x-R2 (2012)

Alienware laptops that do have Windows 10 support or drivers =
Alienware 13-R1 (2014)
Alienware 14-R1 (2013)
Alienware 15-R1 (2015)
Alienware 17-R1 (2013)
Alienware 17-R2 (2015)
Alienware 18-R1 (2013)

1 Message

July 30th, 2015 19:00

Works great for me on the M17x R4, just needed to uninstall Cisco VPN and all other VPN software prior to updating to Windows 10.  No issues so far.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 30th, 2015 20:00

androidmj2,

Awesome! Thanks for posting this.

5 Posts

July 31st, 2015 00:00

I completely agree !

I dreamed of owning an Alienware since my teens! I thought it was the pc of excellence, elite, with this type of product, it would cross the years without incident. I never imagined that the customer support of such a prestigious brand can be as bad ...

I'm just asking a support order to update a computer at € 2,300, 4 years old. unknown to me, simply.

I saved a long time to offer my m17x r3. I was so happy and moved unpacking this powerhouse ...

But since the release of Windows 8 (and lack Dell Support), I'm just sick of this brand that made me dream so much.

July 31st, 2015 00:00

Dell has never been good about supporting products more than 2 years old. They're not even very good at supporting new products. The software that's supposed to detect what you need is wrong more often than it is right. The program (I forget what it's called) that runs occasionally to tell you about new software has never done more than display a black screen -- it didn't even work when the computer was right out of the box. Apple has historically been much better at supporting legacy hardware, but Dell competes with other PC manufacturers, not Apple.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, though. They should support their products for at least five years after purchase, including through operating systems upgrades.

Oh, and I'm not saying that I'm not grateful, Dell, that you say you will support me in upgrading my 1.5 year old Alienware 17 R1 (mid-2013).

8 Posts

August 1st, 2015 04:00

Same for me, was so happy when I bought it.

After the last years and the worst Driver Support I have EVER experienced I wouldn´t  recommend anyone buying a Dell product.

Now I have to stay on Win7 as the upgrade isn´t supported...or just buy a new one (for sure NO AW or Dell).

A VERY disappointed customer

4 Posts

August 1st, 2015 14:00

Oh and for those that cant get the upgrade to start do this....

Run regedit.

1.Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

2.It should exist, but if not, create it.

3.Inside the OSUpgrade key create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes),
 and set the Value = 0x00000001.

Now close regedit and reboot the machine. After you get back into windows go to windows update and it will
start downloading and installing windows 10.

Enjoy your new operating system :)

4 Posts

August 1st, 2015 14:00

I have a m17x R3 and windows 10 installed fine and everything works perfectly. Plays games GREAT.

I do recommend going into the windows update section and setting the windows update to only share with local computers. Microsoft is pulling a very shady fast one by running a bit torrent type file sharing thing in the background of windows 10 and feeding updates from customers machines to other people on the interent. This totally ruins gaming of course since your machines feeding updates at your expense for microsoft. Bogus to say the least.

Anyway back to upgrading. Like I said required nothing to be done to the machine. Just worked. Windows 10 went and got new drivers etc for everything on its own. On my aurora r4 desktop I had to install a newer command center software to control the fans right after upgrading. But my m17x R3 just worked fine with nothing done on my end.

I have the 3d screen and the dedicated nvidia graphics card in my m17x r3. For those with the intel/amd hybrid I would go into the bios and set it to run on amd card only. That means of course you want get the battery power savings of the intel but at least you will be able to play games all the time :)

8 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 05:00

Will try to disable the Intel Graphic Card, although I like having the option to go on silnet & power saving mode if I only do researches in the Internet. Hope the other Drivers will not cause Problems afterwards...Guess I will wait 2 weeks just to be sure.

I still think that it is strange: My small travel Computer (Acer 1810tz) which I only use while I am abroad to store Pictures or check for Restaurants can be updated without an issue...and it contains an Intel solution as well. Is it only the issue that I have a NVIDIA and an Intel onboard Card?

No Events found!