Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2016 14:00

Alienware m17x r4 sometimes displays a blackscreen when starting games

Hi

When starting games I (sometimes) hear the sound/music but only see a blackscreen. To fix the issue, I have to put the laptop to sleep and stat it up again. I can also cause the blackscreen by ALT+Tabbing back to Windows.

I've had this problem since I bought the laptop over 3 years ago. I've since upgraded to a Nvidia 765M graphics card and still have the problem. I've tried updating to latest Intel and Nvidia graphics.

Any help much appreciated! 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

February 2nd, 2016 11:00

Hi, 

We recommend you flash the system Bios to the latest version (if you haven't already done so) and make sure to use the latest NVidia drivers for your video card, you can download them from the NVidia site. If the issue persists, it could be a hardware problem with the video card. 

4 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 13:00

Hi

I have the latest BIOS A13 13/09/2013. I do not think its the video card because it has happened both discrete video cards. I used to have a 675M and switched it for a 765M.  Both cards exhibited the same issue.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2016 13:00

Hi,

Try running a video card stress test using the Support Assist tool. Follow the steps below to run this test. 

• Open Support Assist
  • Click on the Checkup option
  • Click run custom scan
  • Click on the NVidia 765M card
  • Select the Stress Test option

If you do not have Support Assist installed, click here for the download link. If the issue occurs during the test, the problem is most likely related to the video card drivers or the card itself. 

No Events found!