Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2017 01:00

Alienware r3 17 fan

I recently received my refurbished r3 17 and have a question about the fan. Where should I be noticing air coming out. I thought before I purchased the computer that air would be coming out on the bottom of the computer, but it seems to only be coming out on the left hand side at the end underneath the monitor.  It seems that the fan on the right hand side that I thought would be there is not ventilating air. Is this the way it should be or is my right hand side fan dysfunctional. Can someone explain to me where I should be noticing air coming out of the computer while gaming if the computer is fully functional. Can someone also tell me the healthy frequency the processor should be running at. I am getting throttled playing CSGO and the processor sometimes starts to run at 0.76ghz when it gets too hot. When the processor isn't to hot it runs at around 3.3 ghz. I have the i7-6820hz and 980m. Is my computer running properly. Also do I need a cooling pad?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 6th, 2017 09:00

Hi elnyc3‌,

All gaming laptops generate heat. Don't game on 4k with just the 980m. It will heat up no matter what especially on games. That is normal. It's not overheat, it's just how it runs. I wouldn't put this laptop in your lap that is for sure.

Make sure power mode is set to high performance mode and not battery saver. Also, make sure you're on the 980m card for your games and not the Intel integrated card. 

Regarding the right hand side fan not working, run ePSA to test Fans, GPU, CPU, Thermals. Click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let me know if you receive any errors. 

About the CPU throttling, make sure you have the latest Bios version and also update the video driver. Repaste and a cooling pad would be good options too.

3 Posts

April 6th, 2017 14:00

Hello,

Do you know where air would be flowing out in a healthy r3 17? I can't really game on 1080p with low settings in CSGO because after a while it becomes too hot and throttles. I did the test you recommended and it didn't mention any problems with the fan, but I noticed it only tested the CPU fan which I think is the fan on the left that blows out air very nicely. The right hand side of the computer gets very hot and has no ventilation. I am concerned that the GPU fan is not running at all because I can only notice one left hand side fan running on inspection, but on the left hand side of the computer it keeps a nice temperature even during gaming.

Thank you.

April 7th, 2017 17:00

Please install HWMonitor and rund the App in Background while you're playing. it will show you CPU and GPU Temps and Fan Speed. then post a Screenshot here.

HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID 

No Events found!