Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 6th, 2014 01:00

Alienware x51 R2 - GPU Fan constant and not adjusting/regulating itself

Hi There,

Apologies if this is a repeat post!

Recently purchased (2 months ago) my x51 R2 and its been running great however after every start up now, within a few minutes the GPU fan automatically kicks in at 50%.

I use speed fan to monitor temps and speeds and I can see that when running idle,  the temps are fine but the GPU fan is at 50%.

I have updated to latest BIOS, unplugged and held the power button as directed, opened up the case and its like new in there still.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!

1.8K Posts

April 8th, 2014 18:00

Hi!

Try to do a clean installation of the video driver and re-install the Command Center as explained on this article. I would also recommend you check if the fan runs at the same speed on Safe Mode. Let me know how it goes

April 6th, 2014 15:00

Ensure the GPU power cables are not blocking the air intake of GPU in the front.  I've had similar issues with my GPU fan speed rectified with this simple and innocuous fix on my X51.

4 Posts

April 8th, 2014 13:00

Thanks for suggestion, I opened her up and took out the GPU and the cables were tucked nicely to the side.

Its very strange! Once I am logged into Windows within 5 minutes the fans just go from normal to 50% and sit there =/

4 Posts

April 10th, 2014 13:00

Thanks,

The clean install seems to have done the trick, had to un-install the driver in safe mode, reinstall in normal and now fans are just as they should be.

Very happy!

No Events found!