Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2015 14:00

Alienware x51 R2 Power issues, Performance issues, overall lots and lots of issues

I just very recently received my Alienware x51 and I am so far very unimpressed and upset over what I have received. My specs are:

• Motherboard - Alienware 0PGRP5 A02
  • CPU -4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (Quad Core, 8MB Cache, up to 4.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
  • GPU - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960 with 2GB GDDR5
  • Memory RAM - 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600Mhz
  • Im running Windows 8.1 64bit
  • Hard Drive - 2TB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200RPM) 64MB Cache

Those are my specs and for almost 2k i should be assured proper performance, however that is not the case.

Problems:

1. Randomly shuts down in the middle of any games, videos, at really any moment. However its not an ordinary shut down as the systems lights and everything stays on and i cant restart it or anything and must resort to unplugging the entire system
  2. If i do want to restart it or shut it down, sometimes pressing the power button doesnt do anything and i must also resort to unplugging the entire system
  3. Very massive performance issues, my system should be able to run easy games such as Counter Strike: Global Offensive at Max settings, yet it struggles to get atleast 45 fps on the lowest possible settings.
  4. That being said, sometimes I can run CSGO at its low settings and receive good frames, but over about the span of 4 minutes it gradually declines down to  sometimes as low as 20
  5. Pretty sure my DisplayPort port is broken.
  6. Somtimes upon booting my PC I can play CSGO at good frames... kind of, my frames fluctuate from upwards of 150 down to below 20 roughly 20 times per seconds, which feels terrible.
  7. Also sometimes my computer makes ungodly sounds that brings me to believe that there may be a fan stuck inside my PC.

Now that is just a list of problems that i know of off the top of my head.

To put this in perspective for you, my friend has a 2012 dell laptop that at the time was only 600 dollars (I am unsure of the exact specs but I know for a fact that those are correct) is able to run CSGO at max settings and receive upwards of 120+ frames, also able to run The Forest (Which is a game i honestly get less than 10 frames on at lowest settings) at medium settings and get good FPS (Not sure how much but definitely 60+). 

I am supposed to have a better PC than most of my friends yet it seems as if I have the worst PC.

Keep in mind, this PC was just purchased within this month. and delivered about a week ago.

Ive tried almost everything I can think of.

So overall this PC was a big disappointment and there must be something seriously faulty because I know that the hardware is there and able to work properly yet it is struggling at even the easiest things.

97 Posts

August 16th, 2015 05:00

it sounds like something is really really wrong with your system, I would definitely give Dell a call and get it looked at.

but yeah i'm a bit concerned with the CPU i7-4790K it isn't really something that is suitable for this system because the CPU already gets hot enough running at standard speeds (it reaches the thermal limit).

I wonder if you put a cap on the maximum CPU speed in power management settings to 90%, maybe that will help with stability/power related issue.

No Events found!