Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2010 12:00

All sorts of audio problems but great customer service thus far from Dell/Alienware

Hi Alienware owners/future owners,

First I want to share the fact that I have thus far experienced wonderful customer service from Dell/Alienware. I've contacted the company's technical support  3 times now regarding my audio issues with calls lasting as long as 1 and a half hours and was treated with great respect and patience by the Technicians. I'm sorry that all our experiences with Customer service/Technical support seem so uneven and I empathize with everyone who has experienced any rudeness or impatience at the hands of this same company.

Now on to my audio problems. Right now, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place since plugging my headset (headphone/mic combination) into the front ports result in a great deal of system noise- sort of a low crackling (which intensifies as I manipulate the mouse or the windows) with some high pitched signal sound too at times. The back ports for the same device (headset) reveal none of this system noise; however, the microphone jack does not seem to be working at all.  Thus, I currently have to endure the crackling and system noise while raiding in World of Warcraft since I need vent and thus the microphone for that activity.

Upon contacting Dell's Technical support, I was told that the problem lay with Soundblaster and their drivers and that downloading the latest driver could alleviate the problem. Unfortunately, this did not transpire and I was told that a Senior technician from Dell would contact me either today or tomorrow to come rewire some cables and replace a part that will hopefully solve this issue.This issue is horribly annoying. Has anyone experienced similar issues with their Aurora Desktops (non ALX or ALX)? The technician I spoke to told me that there had been other reports of this same issue. So I wanted to find out if anyone else has these issues. Thanks and take care

Bachjess

76 Posts

March 8th, 2010 13:00

This is not a problem with soundblaster. This is a problem on all Auroras regardless whether they have a sound card or use the onboard audio. I had my system replaced because of this issue and the replacement system had the same static in the front audio ports. Some have suggested that it is due to the motherboard being improperly grounded.  It seems this is not an issue that enough people are bothered by for Dell to look into.

Also, a lot of us have had Dell come out and rewire/replace the front audio ports and this does not fix the problem. One person had the the tech just plug the wiring in while leaving the unit that contained the front ports outside of the case away from any internal parts and this did not fix the static.

18 Posts

March 8th, 2010 14:00

Hi Yodasmaster,

Thanks so much for the information. Hmm Is it possible to physically reground the motherboard? Also, what did you do when your replacement system still contained the same problem? Please let me know. Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Bachjess

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 8th, 2010 14:00

No fix as of yet. I was given this -

It's a design error in the front panel Power I/O board. The audio analog ground was routed to Mounting Hole 3. The other two mounting holes are routed to digital or chassis ground. When the board is mounted in the chassis it ties the Digital chassis ground with the Audio Analog ground creating a ground loop allowing switching noise from the +12VA rail to get onto the analog ground.

76 Posts

March 8th, 2010 15:00

No fix as of yet. I was given this -

It's a design error in the front panel Power I/O board. The audio analog ground was routed to Mounting Hole 3. The other two mounting holes are routed to digital or chassis ground. When the board is mounted in the chassis it ties the Digital chassis ground with the Audio Analog ground creating a ground loop allowing switching noise from the +12VA rail to get onto the analog ground.

Good to know that Dell is now aware of the problem. Does this mean a fix is in the works?

25 Posts

March 8th, 2010 15:00

For the last few months I have seen this issue discussed on the forums.  I am an electrical engineer working in the semiconductor industry and this audio problem is quite interesting to me.  The discussion of grounding problems seems to me the most plausible explanation.  It is interesting, though, that I do not experience this problem in my system.  I'm not certain how these various grounds are connected, but I wonder if any part of this can be related to assembly differences between different machines.  If the problem were due to incorrect design of the PCB's, I would expect most users to have this problem.  This, however, does not seem to be the case which leads me to a couple of possible conclusions...

1.)  This is assembly related and so only some people will see the problem.  This would be a good thing because these types of problems can often be corrected by the owner with reasonable technician skills.  It is also possible that component combination's on the IO board may trigger this problem.  The IO board most likely has a long AVL (approved vendor list) that contains more than one supplier for the PCB and various components used on the PCB.  Perhaps only some of these combinations trigger the problem.

2.)  Almost everyone has this problem but so few people use the front audio port that the number of people complaining is very small.  As I mentioned, though, I do not have this problem.

3.)  The problem is present, but to varying degrees.  Perhaps certain combination's of system components exacerbate the problem.  As I mentioned, my configuration (with XFire 5770's) has no problem that I can tell.

In any event, to really figure this out someone is going to have to work with systems that demonstrate the problem and compare them with system that do not.  Ideally you need more than a few in each population so that you can be certain about the results.  Dell is in the best position to do this, especially with respect to different component combinations on the I/O board.  It shouldn't be too difficult for a product engineer to spend a little time trying to figure this out.

18 Posts

March 8th, 2010 16:00

Dear Chris and everyone who replied,

Thanks so much for responding to my post. Could I please ask what a possible solution might be? What could i do to fix this since I was told by Luis from Technical support (a polite and really nice person) from Costa Rica that Dell is currently researching a solution to this problem. Is this a matter of just ensuring that the sound card is securely slotted into the right slot? Thanks so much.

Sincerely & Best Regards, Bachjess

18 Posts

March 8th, 2010 16:00

Plus, does anyone have any ideas why the back microphone jack is not detected and doesn't work? Thanks

Bachjess

11 Posts

March 8th, 2010 17:00

I too have the static, crackling, whine problem. It seems to get more noticeable when the screen is predominantly white.

I have an Aurora (Non-ALX)

I really do not want to part with my Comp for any amount of time.

Both front and rear audio jacks produce this noise, but much more noticeable in the front.

*subscribed*

10 Posts

March 9th, 2010 09:00

I’ve had this problem since I first got my Aurora ALX system in November 2009. I have post on this message board explaining my problem:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19306182/19663178.aspx#19663178

Another problem I found out is that people on vent can barely hear me along with interference noise when I speak through the front microphone port.

I actually got Dell to send out a field Tech to install a replacement front audio I/O assembly. I had him just plug it in without installing in into the chassis to ensure it wasn't the wires or parts touching causing the problem. However, the problem was there. He had Dell order a replacement system and it has been 3 months and never seen the replacement system!

I am glad Dell finally acknowledged this is a problem and hope a solution comes soon. I really would like to enjoy using my problem audio ports again.

Dell please keep us updated!!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 9th, 2010 11:00

Bachjess,

No fix as of yet.

76 Posts

March 9th, 2010 16:00

Bachjess,

No fix as of yet.

Chris, someone on another message board posted this as a possible fix. Can you run this by the engineers and if it works send out the techs to fix the problem?

"remove the mounting screw, replace the one in hole #3 with a nylon screw, put insulating washers between the front board and the chassis front...VOILA Ground loop eliminated"

6 Posts

March 11th, 2010 17:00

I and My wife are having the same issues.  Really  irritating.  Has any solution been found?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 12th, 2010 07:00

We are on the root cause. Will take awhile to get a fix in the field.

No Events found!