Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2014 20:00

Area 51 upgrade to Asus R9 290X DCII Problem

I received a new Asus R9 290X today and installed it into my Area 51, replacing my HD5970.  My Area 51 has a 1200W power supply, but I think that I am having a power issue.  The PC starts up fine and will run on the desktop and browse the internet, but as soon as I put a gaming load on it, it blackscreens and locks.  I have found that by using different combinations of PCI-E power connectors I can extend the time before the PC blackscreens and locks; the longest time is when using the P17 and P19 connectors, but even this is only about 5 seconds.  When using P16/P17 or P18/19 it crashes almost immediately.  The old card (HD5970) was using P16/P17.  The cards stated requirements are 12V/24A on the PSU with a minimum of 750W.  Is the Area 51 supply not capable of providing this much current, or is the motherboard not providing enough through the PCI-E lane?  Or is the card just possibly bad?

Thanks in advance!

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

June 14th, 2014 23:00

Ok, when a desktop spazzes out like that w/a new card, the variables surrounding the possible reasons start to pile up as you've listed & I'm not sure what advice to offer since the psu isn't even shutting down, but "freezing", if you wanna call it that, so do forgive me if I don't chime in past what I say on the power supply ...

If you go over the entire case wiring, the 12volt wires for sata, cpu, mthrbrd, mio, hdd sata etc are:

• blue-white
  • white
  • ylw-wht

That should make three of the five rails. If your pci-e cables are ylw & blu-ylw, that should make your 4h/5th rails. On the 1100watt unit, six rails, you get an extra pci-e cable. On the 1200w, you get a 4th cable for the "7th rail" (j297r), while vhm5v has all 4 pcie cables on the 12V3 rail. Mathematically, the pci-e cables are each on their own rail. I own the 1100w, & two of the 1200's, & this is my interpretation of the 1000/1100/1200 harness 12v wire colors plus pci-e cables relative to "12v rail counts".

If you need further confirmation, which I do not need, I suppose you would crack your psu case open, & w/a multi-meter & even perhaps visually, you could try to find the actual separations inside the psu between the blu-wht-ylw 12v lines (three of the rails) as distinct from your two pci-e cable lines.  

If your psu has five rails, & you track down your blu-whte-ylw lines in your harness, nothing's left except your two vid-cables to account for the remaining two rails ...

as was discussed in the 7990 post, since his mthrbrd is fed 12v off the ylw-wht 12v line, & the cpu off the blu-wht, I tried to tell him in a pm to try a sata adapter for his pwr boost off of his white sata hdd as a possible "hardly being used rail" to give the mthrbrd a jolt from a rail that wasn't in use (hogged) by the mthrbrd/cpu ... it was a suggestion, since as was said, his problems went away with y-split cables, but I doubt yours will w/a freezing pc issue. I think you can be sure your cables are on their own 18a rails though ...

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

June 13th, 2014 23:00

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

June 13th, 2014 23:00

In this post, we decided the motherboard needs an evga power boost, to give a kick to the pci-e lane:

On page two, the user purchased a pair of "y-split" cables, in tandem w/pwr boost:

search term, eBay = evga adapter:

example vendors, $8 each, 6pin to dual-6pin cable:

On page three, the use of the optional 1200w unit, VHM5V, was suggested. If your psu is model j297r, 99% chance it will need the pwr boost & a pair of y-splits, which are for single card useage. When running dual cards, like 7990/290x, boxing j297r for a psu swap is suggested; 1200 watts yes, but only rated @ 23.26 amps per card due to over-current-protection  ... Good luck

29 Posts

June 14th, 2014 03:00

So I was wrong, I do NOT have a 1200w power supply, I have the 1000W power supply model H1000E-01.  This model only has 2 PCIE cables, with 4 total connectors P16/17/18/19.  The label is as follows:

+5V 32A             +3.3V 30A

+12VA 18A        +12VB 18A

+12VC 18A       +12VD 18A

+12VE 18A

-12V .2A             +5VFP 3A

I am assuming that each PCI-E cable is on 1 of the 12V rails with 18A each, so wouldn't that satisfy the 12v/24A requirement of the card?

I tried to run a few benchmark runs on the R9 290X of Tomb Raider and logged the results with GPU-Z and found that the card was never drawing more than 205Watts.  The reading on the 12V sensor under load is 11.5V, and the GPU is utilized at 100% until crash.  I went ahead and put my HD5970 back in and it is still running fine.

As a note, I was sure that I ordered the 1200W PSU, but I can't find any mention of what PSU I ordered anywhere on the invoice....Anyhow...

Any thoughts on how I might proceed?

And thanks again!

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

June 14th, 2014 03:00

Yes, mthrbrd pci-e lane may be starved, so order the evga pwr boost; if psu still shuts down, either fall back on the 5970, or replace w/j297r (& y-splits if needed) or vhm5v. The 1100w unit is 18a also, you only get one more cable/rail out of it, so nix the 1100w idea, but that's my opinion.

You don't sound ready for a total psu swap yet, but you got short-changed on the 1Kw unit. If you want to treat your rig to a new psu, find me on eBay, search corsair 1200 or seasonic 1250, you'll see me & my stuff there ...

29 Posts

June 14th, 2014 20:00

I want to explain a little more clearly what is actually happening, because the power supply is not actually shutting down.  What happens is within 5-10 seconds of putting a 3D (gaming) load on the GPU (Tomb Raider benchmark), the screen goes black, the sound continues for several seconds before also getting "stuck" (usually stuttering on the last bit of sound that was played) and the computer is locked up.  I have a Logitech G19 keyboard, and I leave the clock up on the LCD, and after the screen goes black, the clock second hand keeps moving until the sound stops and the clock stops too.  The system is still on (fans running, AlienFX is on, HDDs are spinning etc.) and at this point the only thing to do is hold the power button for a hard reset.

I have my entire rig, including my NAS, monitor, the aforementioned Logitech G19, and my 5.1 speaker system, connected to a 1200W BackUPS, and it has a wattage monitor.  The peak wattage it shows during the Tomb Raider benchmark is less than 600W peak, even with all of this equipment attached to it.  To eliminate the BackUPS as a problem, I disconnected the PC from the BackUPS and connected it straight into an electrical outlet that is on a totally separate circuit from the rest of my PC equipment (I ran 2 circuits to my office when I wired it) and the results were the same.

I did some logging with GPU-Z during the Tomb Raider benchmark, and it never logs amp usage higher than 20A.  I also tried Arkham Origins benchmark, but it won't even get past the loading screen.  Despite my original post, it doesn't seem to make any difference which PCI-E connectors I am using, the time to lockup on the Tomb Raider benchmark is variable between 5-10 seconds, and the Arkham Origins benchmark won't get past the loading screen.  Other than the GPU, the only items connected to my motherboards PCI connectors are a USB 3.0 card and a X-FI Titanium Sound card.  I tried running the benchmarks with the USB 3.0 card disconnected but it didn't make any difference.

I have no problems running either of these benchmarks (or any other games/benchmarks) on my HD5970, which is currently using only the P16/P17 connectors which are on one PCI-E cable.

I have been reading on various forums, and opinions on the different R9 290/290X "black screen issue" vary from being bad Elpidia GDDR ram on various models of the R9 290X including the Asus R9 290X DCII, to gpu voltage issues, bios issues, and driver issues, and power supply issues.  Some claim that the card is just drawing too much power for lower-amped 12v rails.  The card itself says it requires a power supply capable of providing 12V/24A.  One person has even concluded that the issue is a poor DVI connection that is causing the error, and his description of what he is experiencing is identical to what I am experiencing.

Anyway, I ordered the EVGA Power Booster since it was pretty inexpensive on Amazon.com, so once that arrives I will give it a test to see if it makes a difference; Thanks Cass :)  Perhaps while I wait on that you (or anyone else) might be able to give me some advise on the PSU in my Area-51:

I have the 1000W model H1000E-01 which is also Dell P/N 0U662D

Here is a screen shot of the lable...

71gFEsn-6VL._SL1500_.jpg

From the label, I gather that this PSU has 5x 12V rails @ 18A/rail.  What I am curious about is which 12V rails the 2 PCI-E power cables (with connectors P16/17 and P18/19) might be on.  Mainly I want to know if each PCI-E cable is on its own rail, if the 2 cables are one 1 rail, or if either cable shares a rail with other hardware.  If anyone knows this answer, or can advise me on what I would need to do to test it and find out, I would appreciate that.

Thanks again!

29 Posts

June 15th, 2014 00:00

Thanks Cass-Ole, the PCI-E cables are Yellow and Blue/Yellow, and I don't think I will be tearing my PSU apart to investigate it any further :)  I am am pretty sure now that the GPU is defective, and have RMAed it.  I believe, based off of the information on the PSU label and from your information on the PCI-E cables being on their own rails, that the single R9 290X should receive plenty of power from the 1000W PSU (18Ax2=36A total from the PCI-E power cables plus the PCI-E slots themselves).  The power requirements are close between the HD5970 and the R9 290X, and I haven't had any trouble with my HD5970.  If my replacement GPU still has problems, I have the EVGA power boost on the way to test, plus I think I can get my hands on a 750W PSU to try running the card off of a separate supply from the system PSU.

Thanks again for the help, I will post a reply once the replacement card arrives and I have had a chance to do some more tests :)

29 Posts

June 25th, 2014 16:00

So my replacement R9 290X came today, and it is rock solid.  The original obviously was defective.  Thanks again for your help Cass-Ole :)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 25th, 2014 18:00

So my replacement R9 290X came today, and it is rock solid.  The original obviously was defective.  

What brand was it? Was it new? I'll make a note to avoid them.

29 Posts

June 25th, 2014 21:00

What brand was it? Was it new? I'll make a note to avoid them.

ASUS manufactured AMD R9 290X DCII-OC.  I purchased it new, and the company that sold it to me RMAed it and sent a new replacement that arrived today and (so far) is working great.  I have been benchmarking it against my HD5970; 6 gaming benchmarks using maxed settings (Batman: Arkham Origins, Bioshock Infinite, Hitman: Absolution, Metro: Last Light, Thief, Tomb Raider, and Total War: Rome II) and I am getting +30% to +60% FPS @1080P.  Also, there won't be any CrossFireX "microstutter" from the HD5970 since this is just a single core GPU, which is nice.

The ASUS R9 290X is generally rated well, but there are reports not only of the ASUS version of the R9 290X but of various vendors models of the R9 290X and R9 290 having various black screen issues, and various theories as to why they occur.  What was happening in my case was that the card would run fine in normal tasks like browsing the internet, sitting at the desktop etc., but within 10 seconds of putting a gaming load on the card, I would get a black screen (see my earlier post for all of the details.)  Other people were reporting black screens on boot.  Some were seeing various random black screen lockups that seemed to have no direct connection to anything.

There were a bunch of theories as to what was causing these; overclocks that were too much, bad GDDR memory, heat issues including bad thermal paste, PSU's that weren't capable of running the card.  Sorting through the various theories was made even more difficult because some of the people reporting the issues were using various modded bios versions (some for bitcoin mining, some for modding the R9 290 to make it perform like the R9 290X) that may have been causing the issues as well.  In my case, one theory that seemed possible was that the DVI ports did not have a good connection, and was causing the GPU to lock up.  The person with this theory was having the exact same crash that I was.

Regardless of the reason, the first board I received would not run any game for more than a few seconds without black screening and locking up.  With my new board I looped the Metro: Last Light benchmark for about 10 minutes with no problems, as well as running through all of the benchmarks I mentioned without issue.

I will have some time over the next few days to really put it through some gaming to make sure there are no other problems, but so far so good.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 25th, 2014 23:00

Thanks for the info. Good troubleshooting and burn-in testing now. Maybe try OCCT PS Test?

Ya, single chip is usually more trouble-free than CFx unless you are running Eyefinity and need it.

30-60% better 1080p FPS than 5970 (which is almost 2 of my 5870s) .... wow  

Asus is usually pretty good, but it could have been a fluke. I also see it's a OC model. I'm generally against OC anything. Running anything beyond it's designed speed it usually a bad idea because it's really hard on the electronics (or car engine or whatever).

29 Posts

June 26th, 2014 06:00

Thanks for the info. Good troubleshooting and burn-in testing now. Maybe try OCCT PS Test?

Ya, single chip is usually more trouble-free than CFx unless you are running Eyefinity and need it.

30-60% better 1080p FPS than 5970 (which is almost 2 of my 5870s) .... wow  

Asus is usually pretty good, but it could have been a fluke. I also see it's a OC model. I'm generally against OC anything. Running anything beyond it's designed speed it usually a bad idea because it's really hard on the electronics (or car engine or whatever).

I'm not familiar with the "OCCT PS" test, but I will look it up and maybe give it a try. I was very surprised at the performance increase. The +30% to +60% increase was in average frame rate; the increase in minimum fps was actually even greater than 60% in some cases. Metro: Last Light went from totally unplayable at highest settings to smooth at 58FPS average. I made a nice excel file with all of my old and new FPS benchmarks for comparison and the improvement is excellent. Plus I am considering going to a 2560x1440 monitor soon, so the extra horsepower was going to be necessary.

As to the bad card; I have never owned anything made by Asus before, but I have read that they are usually pretty dependable, and I am glad the 2nd board seems so far to be problem-free. I usually don't go for OC anything either, but I definitely didn't want this card with the "reference cooler" (which is so ineffective that it actually has to underclock the card sometimes when under load to keep it cool) and the Asus DCII cooler is considered pretty good. Plus the card comes with a backplate for support, which a lot of the other non-reference models do not have, and upgraded components (VRMs and capacitors) as well. The deal that Newegg was offering on it was pretty nice: On sale for $549.99 plus $15.00 off instantly and a free 8GB (2x4GB) kit of G.Skill Ripjaws 1666 DDR3 Ram, plus Asus gave an additional $20.00 mail-in rebate and 3 free games. If I decide I don't want the overclock, Asus' GPU Tweak software is really nice. I can just change the clocks back to stock with a couple of sliders and it is done.

As long as no more black screens happen, I consider it a very good upgrade; between the new GPU and my new (in April 2014) Samsung 1TB EVO 840 SSD (I can't believe how much faster boot and loading times are with the SSD) my Area-51 (which has 12GB DDR3 1333 Ram and a Core i7-970) should be good for several more years at the least.

29 Posts

July 7th, 2014 07:00

I figured I would give an update on my Area-51/R9 290X upgrade. Over the last couple of weeks I gamed for over 55 hours, including a number of hours in ARMA III and The Witcher 2 with no problems. I didn't run any synthetic benchmarks or stress tests (yet), but I did not have any problems gaming at all.

I also got my Command Center Fan Control curves worked out (I had relocated Sensor 3 to the GPU a couple of years ago) so that as the card heats up, the PCI fan increases its speed accordingly. Even in ARMA III the system never got loud to the point of being distracting; the Asus R9 290X DCII ran very quietly, although the Area-51's PCI fan did get to above 30%. This could obviously be adjusted a bit using the fan curve, but I prefer to keep the card and system cool versus sound levels (I have the Area-51's Liquid Cooling fan turned around for intake, and I have also added 2 fans to the top of the case for intake as well as a fan to the back of the case for exhaust), and the system on the whole still didn't get as loud or as hot as it did with the HD5970.

My next little project will be to see if I can modify the PCI shroud that came with the Area-51 to fit; the HD5970 was not as wide as the Asus R9 290X DCII, and the PCI shroud no longer closes, so I removed it. I may be able modify the shroud a bit by removing a portion near the back of the case where the shroud is hinged to allow it to close. This part of the shroud curves inwards towards the graphics card and I think it could be modified to work. I would like to test temperatures to see if using the shroud provides any improvement to either GPU or CPU temperatures, although I suspect the shroud isn't particularly useful other than possibly directing more air from the PCI fan to the PCI cards.

I am very happy with my upgrade. The problems I was originally having were not a problem with the Area-51 motherboard or power supply, but definitely the result of getting a bad card. The new card gave a significant increase in performance (30%-60% in average FPS) along with a reduction in temperatures and noise levels for about the same amount or less power usage as my old HD5970.

I also want to thank Cass-Ole again for the information on the power supply; your information was helpful in troubleshooting the problems I was having and helped me feel sure that the power supply was not the problem.
No Events found!