Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2009 09:00

Audio Problems Front Port and TactX Headset Aurora ALX

My Aurora ALX came in a few days ago with Windows 7. I have two audio problems: I have the standard integrated RealTek audio card installed.

1. When plugging in my old headphones into the front port I can clearly hear a lot of static and crackling electronic noise. The sound changes a lot when I switch application such as minimizing my full screen game to the desktop. The noise persist when I have the volume muted. I’ve updated the driver still static. I’ve disabled and uninstalled the driver….still static. I did notice the static noise isn’t there during bootup but starts when Windows loads. This only happens with the front audio port. When I plug into the back port there is no static/crackling noise at all.

1. At first I thought it was my old headphone and decided to pull out and try the Alienware TactX headphones. As soon as plug it in the volume is not even half the level of my old headphones, even when I adjust the level on the cord to the highest setting. The static noise is not very noticeable, but that’s because the volume level is so low. I turn up my system volume to 100% and the volume is a little better but not loud as I like and the static is more noticable. When I unplug the TactX headset my front speakers are blasting loud. I think it is impossible to get near “blasting” level of the headset with my computer. Just trying to show the extremely limited volume output level of these headset.  Are these headphones designed to be a much lower volume output?

Can any please provide some help with the static/crackling noise of the headphones from the front port and confirm if the Alienware TactX headphones are designed to be much less quiter than other headsets and what the system volume is set at?

I just don’t have the time right now to call Dell/Alienware and go through hours and hours of trying to find answers.

10 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 22:00

Bump to see if anyone else is having this problem. I am still waiting to hear a response from Dell to at least acknowledge this issue and they are aware of this problem.

Yodasmaster has started a similar thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19321131.aspx

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 01:00

I had the same problem with my aurora alx with x-fi sound card, up till 2 days ago now i dont have any static in my front top ports.. no idea what i changed or anything. just went away really strange.

6 Posts

March 13th, 2010 11:00

Got the same problem.  Just received a brand new Alienware Aurora a week ago with Windows 7 Pro x64.  When headphones are plugged into the front jack (top), there's lots of static and noise.  When I change the FlexiJack (blue plug) in the back on the Creative X-fi Sound Card to Microphone instead of its defaul Line-in, and plug my headphones and mic into those ports, I have no static or noise. 

I don't use external speakers much anyway, so I'm fine with them plugged into the back.  But it is an annoying bug that does need to be fixed...take note Alienware and Dell.

76 Posts

March 13th, 2010 15:00

Got the same problem.  Just received a brand new Alienware Aurora a week ago with Windows 7 Pro x64.  When headphones are plugged into the front jack (top), there's lots of static and noise.  When I change the FlexiJack (blue plug) in the back on the Creative X-fi Sound Card to Microphone instead of its defaul Line-in, and plug my headphones and mic into those ports, I have no static or noise. 

I don't use external speakers much anyway, so I'm fine with them plugged into the back.  But it is an annoying bug that does need to be fixed...take note Alienware and Dell.

Chris M from Dell posted the following in another thread about this issue.

Issue = The Analog ground was routed to mounting hole 3. The other two mounting holes are routed to Digital or chassis ground. When the board is mounted in the chassis, it ties the Digital chassis ground with the Analog ground creating a ground loop allowing switching noise from the +12VA rail to get onto the Analog ground.

Solution = Contact Technical Support for your region. This job is too difficult to do on your own. They need to setup an onsite service to replace the
Front I/O Assembly. Give the representative one of the following part numbers:
VG7K1 Aurora R1 & R2 Front I/O Assembly
543DN Aurora R1 & R2 ALX Front I/O Assembly

6 Posts

March 15th, 2010 23:00

Hi Chris M, thanks for providing us with an official response to this ongoing issue.

Is this same fix applicable to the Dell XPS 9000 series as well?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 16th, 2010 08:00

No. The Alienware team is different than the Studio XPS team.

2 Posts

March 27th, 2010 18:00

I recieved my system on Wednesday after a string of very unreasonable delays, and now I have this problem.

Great.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 27th, 2010 20:00

Jimouk,

We are getting the Front Panel Power I/O board redone to make sure the two grounds are not shorted. The boards should be ready by May. When I hear they are ready, I will post the new part number for the Front Panel Power I/O board. You would use that part number when contacting Technical Support. You will be able to install the board yourself or have an onsite technician.

10 Posts

April 25th, 2010 12:00

Hello Chris,

This is just a friendly bump to see if there is an update to the solution or replacement part. Is the replacement part still on schedule to go out or be available in May?

Thank you again for your help!

58 Posts

April 26th, 2010 14:00

Jimouk,

We are getting the Front Panel Power I/O board redone to make sure the two grounds are not shorted. The boards should be ready by May. When I hear they are ready, I will post the new part number for the Front Panel Power I/O board. You would use that part number when contacting Technical Support. You will be able to install the board yourself or have an onsite technician.

Chris,

I contacted Tech Support today regarding a separate issue and learned that a new board was already on it's way to me (having shipped today).  I never opened a ticket for it; is Dell just being proactive on this?

As an aside, for some reason my new Service Tag won't allow me to chat with Technical Support -- why ?

159 Posts

April 27th, 2010 16:00

Is this an Aurora issue or an Area 51 ALX issue as well?

I don't regularily use these front ports, but if it's an electrical ground issue it should be corrected/replaced.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 28th, 2010 07:00

I need your service tag in a private message to check what part they are sending.

18 Posts

May 4th, 2010 10:00

Hi Chris M,

I too have been having issues with the Front audio ports having constant static/hissing. May I know if the part is ready? If so, where will you be posting the part number? Will it be in these forums? Thank you so much for your time and for helping all of us Alienware owners :)

Sincerely,

Bachjess

10 Posts

May 20th, 2010 15:00

Chris M,

Any update on the replacement part? A few months ago you said the part would be done in April and ready to go out in May? It is getting close to the end of the month so I'm wondering if the part is ready?

Also, as Bachjess asked, how will we know when the part is ready and the part number? Is a field tech able to install it onto our systems? Thank you again for all your help Chris.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 20th, 2010 22:00

Still no word. I will tell you when I know. Yes, the technician can/will install it.

No Events found!