Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2009 09:00

Audio Problems Front Port and TactX Headset Aurora ALX

My Aurora ALX came in a few days ago with Windows 7. I have two audio problems: I have the standard integrated RealTek audio card installed.

1. When plugging in my old headphones into the front port I can clearly hear a lot of static and crackling electronic noise. The sound changes a lot when I switch application such as minimizing my full screen game to the desktop. The noise persist when I have the volume muted. I’ve updated the driver still static. I’ve disabled and uninstalled the driver….still static. I did notice the static noise isn’t there during bootup but starts when Windows loads. This only happens with the front audio port. When I plug into the back port there is no static/crackling noise at all.

1. At first I thought it was my old headphone and decided to pull out and try the Alienware TactX headphones. As soon as plug it in the volume is not even half the level of my old headphones, even when I adjust the level on the cord to the highest setting. The static noise is not very noticeable, but that’s because the volume level is so low. I turn up my system volume to 100% and the volume is a little better but not loud as I like and the static is more noticable. When I unplug the TactX headset my front speakers are blasting loud. I think it is impossible to get near “blasting” level of the headset with my computer. Just trying to show the extremely limited volume output level of these headset.  Are these headphones designed to be a much lower volume output?

Can any please provide some help with the static/crackling noise of the headphones from the front port and confirm if the Alienware TactX headphones are designed to be much less quiter than other headsets and what the system volume is set at?

I just don’t have the time right now to call Dell/Alienware and go through hours and hours of trying to find answers.

76 Posts

May 22nd, 2010 21:00

I saw this thread had been bumped and got my hopes up

10 Posts

June 1st, 2010 13:00

FYI Looks like Chris has posted a Sticky to order the replacement part!!

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19334362.aspx 

I'll try to get my ordered sometime this week. Hope this works! *crosses fingers*

Thank you Chris!

June 8th, 2010 10:00

Yes, the I/O panel only works with on-board sound, you  have to buy a creative specific I/O panel. Something like:

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Blaster-Titanium-Fatal1ty-Upgrade/dp/B002DRYE3M

10 Posts

June 11th, 2010 10:00

Chris,

I ordered the part 543DN for my Aurora ALX and the field tech came in and replaced the part yesterday. However, after installing it did NOT to resolve the problem and the noise interference is still there.

Is there anything you can do to help or have any advice? I sent you a message. Thank you!

June 13th, 2010 12:00

Just got my Aurora ALX about a week ago and i am having the exact same problem...I was hoping this problem would have been fixed by now but i guess thats not the case. It's really anoying though.Sure i could plug my headset in the back , but then i can only get stereo in the speaker configuration while in the front panel i get to set it in 5.1 or 7.1 mode wich is a big plus...not sure if it's suposed to be that way , if not maybe its a clue as to what is causing to problem?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 14th, 2010 06:00

All,

The part they are using should be the fixed one but maybe some old ones are still in circulation. Get it replaced again.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 27th, 2010 15:00

RSmith2418,

After opening the case and taking a look ... the Front Audio (analog) cable appears to go directly from the motherboard up to the top/front audio jacks. If the analog audio is picking up interference, it's likely due to the fact that the cable is sandwiched tightly up against many power wires in the main wire channel keeper.

If you are handy, you can do it yourself. If not, have a Dell tech do it for you...

What I would try ... re-route the internal audio cable away from other cables. At least get it out of that main wire channel keeper. If problems persist, the next thing I would try it a ferrite core (ring). Possibly, one at both ends. If it was still a problem (unlikely) I would remake the cable using a shielded cable with higher gauge (thicker) wires inside it.

And not to contradict what Chris says (he is obviously closer to the AW dev teams than I am), but on every piece of home audio/video equipment I have ever worked on ... chassis/signal/digital/analog/audio ground are all the same (that's kind of how/why it works). There is a "hot ground" for the incoming AC power, but that only ever goes as far as the high-side of the primary transformer (inside the Switch Mode Power Supply).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 27th, 2014 11:00

I know this post is a little old, but I am having this issue now that I purchased the Alienware Tactx headset and try to use the front ports. Has this been resolved?

Yes, it has ... but analog audio will always have the potential to have EMI (interference).

What exact Aurora model do you have?

What exact problem are you having (test play and record)?

Are you under warranty?

Have you tried Tact-X analog headset in back direct motherboard ports?

Have you tried Tact-X analog headset in different computer?

Have you tried other (working) analog headphones or ear-buds (like from MP3 player)?

4 Posts

February 27th, 2014 11:00

I know this post is a little old, but I am having this issue now that I purchased the Alienware Tactx headset and try to use the front ports. Has this been resolved?

2 Posts

July 6th, 2015 14:00

hi,

Got the same issue on my Aurora R1.

After years, I've just found a solution : put windows volume at the top and decrease your headphone volume. No more crackling.

No Events found!