Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

June 17th, 2010 08:00

Aurora ALX - Simple issue with side panel

Hi, I recently purchased an Aurora ALX and immediately set about upgrading the graphics card and adding an SSD. The somewhat embarassing problem I have now is getting the side panel back on correctly. Please bear with me while I try to explain as best I can. There is a metal bar running the length of the bottom of the side panel. I can get the side panel to 'click in place' if I don't rest this metal bar over the metal base of the chassis. The problem with this is the metal pins on the side panel do not make contact with the interior switch, so the lighting does not illuminate on the panel. Here's a picture (note the misalignment of the panel at the front bottom of the case):

3162.PIC1.JPG

The alternative is to rest the base of the side panel on the base of the chassis like so:

1581.PIC2.JPG

However, there is no clearance for the top of the side panel to slide under the plastic housing for the LED strip that runs across the top of the chassis:

8446.PIC3.JPG

I'm obviously doing something  wrong - any suggestions most welcome

372 Posts

June 17th, 2010 11:00

Is there a handle you pulled?  If so, you might need to pull on it again, the door should retract enough to fit then.

9 Posts

June 17th, 2010 12:00

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. There is a metal latch at the rear of the case. Sliding this to the right enables a handle to be lifted that pops the side panel out at the top. I've fiddled every possible way with the handle and latch but still no joy.

This official Alienware youtube video shows the procedure (at 2.20 he opens the case, at 4.15 he puts the panel back but does it very quickly!)

57 Posts

June 17th, 2010 16:00

Make sure you have the entire case on a hard flat surface. May seem silly but I had issues fitting my Aurora side panel back on too and it was because the back end of the case was hanging off the table...hehe...

If all else fails bend the metal band down a bit...?

9 Posts

June 18th, 2010 01:00

Ahh, you may well have hit the nail on the head there - my case is currently sitting on a small wooden stand with castors (so I can move it around easily), but the front and back of the case overlap the stand by a fair bit. I'll try your suggestion when I get home from work and report back. Thanks!

Update: @ , you were spot on. I put the case on a flat surface and the side panel went on without any difficulty. Thanks very much for the help!!

It's certainly something Alienware should consider mentioning in the service manual to save anyone else the grief.

No Events found!