Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2011 09:00

Aurora R2 not always powering up after hitting the power button but clicks. Please help

A couple of weeks ago my Auraro r2 starting to have trouble powering up. Sometimes it would start with 1 click of the power button and other times i would get a CLICK from the machine but it would power up. Tried a different power cable and also checked all the connections in the machine to the power supply. All seems ok

If i turn all sockets off at the wall and then turn the on the machine boots up. The power button is clearly working so was wondering if the power supply is on the way out or if its to do with trying to install the a11 bios update which never worked? I didnt think this would effect the machine actually getting power only loading up

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Gary

757 Posts

December 29th, 2011 10:00

It sounds like you are drawing too much current off that one recepticle's breaker. Move the power cords from the other devices to a different breaker and connect your computer to the wall via an APC or other surge / power supply. (if I understand you correctly)

You could also check the wiring bundle on the MOBO to make sure it is on securely.

17 Posts

December 29th, 2011 11:00

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried plugging the adapter directly into the socket at the wall, hence not going through a surge power protector with the same issue.

How do i check the MOBO????

757 Posts

December 29th, 2011 11:00

I would check all the connections on the MOBO to ensure all connections are tight, though I don't believe this is the real problem.

I suggested that you reduce the power load on the socket you are drawing power from to run your system and other things, letting the computer have sole access to that power socket. I would also keep the APC surge protector in line from the wall socket to the computer. This allows for poor power supply and surges that might affect your computer. If the power from your socket is below a certain level of volts your computer will not turn on.

Check the main power connector on your mother board. It is located to the right of the memory sticks and has numerous wires. You may even want to disconnect and reconnect this plug.

Before you play around inside however, make sure computer is unplugged from the socket, and hold down the power button for 30 seconds or until the littl orange / red light on the i/o board goes out.

In the AlienWare service manual on page 14 of chapter 3, System Board Componets will show you were the main power connector is located.

This requiress adobe reader:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/Alw_dt_Aurora_R2/en/sm/SM_en.pdf

17 Posts

December 30th, 2011 05:00

Sorry for the late reply.

Tried powering it on with just the pc plugged into the main socket. Made no difference so went to your next step of checking the power is connected to the motherboard securely.

I actually unplugged it, checked the wiring and then plugged in back in. Still same resuklt and majority of the time not powering up.

Are there any other suggestions? Would the Bios effect powering up of the machine at all?

17 Posts

December 30th, 2011 06:00

Also no hardware has been added to the machine since factory build

757 Posts

If still under warranty have dell send out a tech.

If you installed some hardware prior to this problem check your installation. Run a PSA test from BIOS boot-up to check things out as well.

When you shut off the computer make sure you are not turning it off by placing it in hibernation or sleep mode.

You can also disconnect everything except the keyboard, monitor, and mouse to see if the problem continues.

Just make sure your wall socket is providing the proper power. You might want to check your system at a different wall socket in another room not on the same circuit.

17 Posts

Unfortunately the machine is out of warranty. I have tried it on all other sockets in our house.

Do you think i shoulfd try another power supply unit within the machine?

17 Posts

December 30th, 2011 07:00

Yes checked the PSA check, everything passed

757 Posts

December 30th, 2011 07:00

Did you run the PSA?

If so and no problems reported, you should probably take it to a tech for repair.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 30th, 2011 10:00

If i turn all sockets off at the wall and then turn the on the machine boots up.

I agree with AAA737Flyer's first post.

If you are not going to invest in a proper APC 1300-1500 UPS (or similar), then you will have to take the machine to a different building to make sure it's not the input AC power or building wiring fault.

The sentence I quoted makes it sound like it's the building's power because the machine works fine if you turn everything else off.

No Events found!