Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2014 09:00

Aurora R4 Fan & Heat issue

I've had major problems with my Aurora R4 since yesterday afternoon.

I was running Chrome just working with no issues when suddenly the fans started going berserk. The System fan was over 4000 rpm. I reviewed the community and tried updating my BIOS, uninstalled the Command Center, and nothing helped. I ran Avast and SuperAntispyware, I ran PC Diagnostics. There were no viruses, no spyware, and everything passed. 

I did have a CPU fan error 2 days ago but I didn't copy it. 

Somewhere in rebooting after the BIOS update my clock decided it was 1/1/13 and I couldn't get Chrome to work because it said it was my first time using Google and the SSL wasn't valid. I manually adjusted the clock setting to today's date and that didn't help. This was before I did any restores.

Today I decided to do a restore to factory settings, but the clock was still set at 1/1/13 and the fans are still running too fast. In the CMOS the BIOS time is correct.

I'm at a loss. 

--update--

The clock is staying put after setting it manually, and the SSL issues are resolved as a result so I can use the computer even though probably shouldn't. 

I reseated the cables as explained here

I'm still having the fan and high temperature issue. While sitting idle the System Fan will rev to 4000 rpm just out of nowhere. Nothing is running and it's a fresh restore with almost nothing installed. 

I did install SpeenFan and there are the following errors, reproducible by just restarting SpeedFan:

ProbeSCSI: WARNING: hard disk skipped because of invalid returned LogSense data

Found SCSI drive ST1000DM003-9YN1 (1000.2GB)
ProbeSCSI: WARNING: hard disk skipped because of invalid returned LogSense data
Found Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
End of detection

I also installed SIW and you can see the temps: temps.PNG

7 Posts

February 5th, 2014 09:00

I think I found the problem, and I'm going to work on it today after work. This really stinks.

It could happen to others, so this may be helpful for you:  http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/too-hot-fans-are-going-berserk.163573/

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 5th, 2014 14:00

See my posts here:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19454040.aspx

Dell Diags and HW-Monitor is all you really need to trouble-shoot, but see my Favorites.

No Events found!