Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2016 04:00

Aurora R4 PSU broken

Hello guys,

I've recently broken my 875W PSU in my Aurora R4. There is already quite a few posts about this but I'm still unsure on what I should do. I have no real need to upgrade and don't need a higher than 875W, but is it best to try and find the same replacement 875W or should i try and go for something a bit better like 1000W/1250W?

I have read that there is size issues, case fans and case lights compatibility issues when changing up the power supply.

I am not very experienced with stuff like this and from doing research I've found it a bit confusing and I would like to get experts opinions on this. 

Any suggestions are welcome, but mainly I just want some more information on the subject before I go ahead and buy something.

Thanks for your time.

December 23rd, 2016 04:00

Okay thanks, I guess that answers one of my questions.

Are you suggesting that I buy another 875 PSU?

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 06:00

I have read that there is ... case fans and case lights compatibility issues when changing up the power supply.
Area-51 R1 has those issues, Aurora doesn't; the size issue you heard of is real, due to its small case form factor / chassis, and so new cables can be too short or too long or just right, depending; flat ribbon cables tend to be best when running dual-cards vs round sleeved cables; a short CPU 8pin extension might be needed. Other than cables, aftermarket power supplies tend to be a direct drop-in for Aurora, after you trudge through old case harness removal. A power supply chassis that isn't longer than 7.5inches / 190mm is best, the shorter the better (6 7/8" - 7")

Least expensive / fastest way to replace is to uncouple the chassis there & plug & play with Dell part# W299G or J556T

Some swap material + links gathered @NotebookReview Aurora section: post #31 & #33

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 22nd, 2016 14:00

Hi,

The highest validated PSU for this model is 875W.

No Events found!