Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2013 21:00

Aurora R4 System Fan Issue

About 5 months ago my system fan RPM began ramping up to around 4,000 when playing games, it normally would idle around 1200, and go up to around 2,000 when gaming and still remain very quiet. When it runs at 4,000 rpm it sounds like a miniature jet engine. I cleaned everything out really well and it alleviated the issue, now about 5 days ago this issue cropped up again, but this time it ramps up even when I'm just browsing the internet or watching a video. I made sure to thoroughly clean out the system again, even though it wasn't that dusty. The Ambient Temperature sensors seem to be in working order, the CPU pump is running fine as far as I can tell. Also I have not modified the bios from what shipped default.

I have been browsing these forums, and various other forums on the net the past several days trying to find something that would possibly give me a clue as to what is wrong. I have tried adding a bit of thermal paste, reinstalling the alienware command center and the power dissapation technique, but all to no avail. Now I did try to run the EPSA and did not see an option to test the mio board listed. I am leaning towards it being a bad mio board that needs replacing, but I'm no expert and while I have been a long time customer of dell, and this is my second alienware pc, I am at a loss as to what the root cause of this is. I would appreciate any assistance in finding a solution to this issue.

3.3K Posts

June 14th, 2013 01:00

Hi,

To isolate/resolve the issue follow below mentioned troubleshooting: 

Check the BIOS version on the computer. Restart the computer and use the key to enter System Setup to make changes to the user-definable settings. If you have trouble entering Setup using this key, press when the keyboard LEDs first flash.

Check the BIOS Version and download and update version by version. 

1602.Auroira R4 BIOS.jpg

For example: If the BIOS version on the computer is A01 then update A03 then download and update A05..A06..A07.

1856.Aurora R4 previous BIOS.jpg

Update BIOS from the following link:

http://dell.to/1aabKFd

• During BIOS update verify that the computer is connected to an AC Adapter.
  • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update.      
  • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update. 

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Clean Air vents:

1. Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  2. Use a compressed air can to blow the dust out of the vents. Be sure to hold the can at an upright (near 90 degree angle) and hold it 15-20 centimeters (6-8 inches) away from the target.
  3. Turn off the System
  4. Remove all power sources: Unplug the AC Adapter and Remove the Battery, or Unplug the Desktop Power Cord.

Hardware Diagnostics Check:

Refer the following link which has steps to run diagnostics. Let the diagnostics complete as the issue seems to be fan here:

http://dell.to/16lvxyY

Awaiting your response!

2.4K Posts

June 14th, 2013 02:00

About 5 months ago my system fan RPM began ramping up to around 4,000 when playing games, it normally would idle around 1200, and go up to around 2,000 when gaming and still remain very quiet. When it runs at 4,000 rpm it sounds like a miniature jet engine. I cleaned everything out really well and it alleviated the issue, now about 5 days ago this issue cropped up again, but this time it ramps up even when I'm just browsing the internet or watching a video. I made sure to thoroughly clean out the system again, even though it wasn't that dusty. The Ambient Temperature sensors seem to be in working order, the CPU pump is running fine as far as I can tell. Also I have not modified the bios from what shipped default.

I have been browsing these forums, and various other forums on the net the past several days trying to find something that would possibly give me a clue as to what is wrong. I have tried adding a bit of thermal paste, reinstalling the alienware command center and the power dissapation technique, but all to no avail. Now I did try to run the EPSA and did not see an option to test the mio board listed. I am leaning towards it being a bad mio board that needs replacing, but I'm no expert and while I have been a long time customer of dell, and this is my second alienware pc, I am at a loss as to what the root cause of this is. I would appreciate any assistance in finding a solution to this issue.

I've had your issue and did all you did. I changed the BIOS but in the end it was a bad MIO. Are you still under warranty? If so then update the BIOS like what was suggested. If that doesn't do it then try calling Dell and having the MIO replaced. While you say you are no expert you really have taken it to an expert level of trouble shooting. Time to replace parts I think if the BIOS update does not fix it.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted out

June 14th, 2013 06:00

Thanks for the encouragement Morblore. Also thanks Rajesh, I have cleaned out the case and all the fans quite thoroughly and had already ran the dell diagnostic utility from the website, and the epsa and "everything" tested fine.

I have the A3 bios currently and downloaded the A5, A6 and A7 and have them on a flash drive, is there something I need to do to be able to boot from the flash drive or run the bios updates from it? I don't have much experience in this area and could not find the information on the bios page other than it saying put them on a dos bootable flash drive.

June 14th, 2013 15:00

Hi,

The BIOS packages can be opened in windows. You should be able to update from BIOS A03 to BIOS A05 and then to BIOS A07.

Try the power drain:

-Remove AC adapter

-Press and Hold the power button for 30 seconds

If the problem persists and you're located in US or Canada, send me private message to get the problem fixed.

June 14th, 2013 17:00

Well unfortunately that did not fix the problem, it still persists. Now this is a bit silly, but I don't see where I can sent a pm on here.

June 14th, 2013 18:00

Click on my user, then you can click on start a conversation. If that doesn't work, send me a friend request.

June 26th, 2013 20:00

After some trouble shooting, it was determined that the mio control board and the liquid cooling system needed replacement, both parts have been replaced and my problem is completely resolved. Alexander was a considerable help in this process.

14 Posts

July 14th, 2013 13:00

Hello, (sorry wasnt able to find how to send a pm, new to this site.) I am having a very similar issue with my pc. I have been checking through forums and I have tried everything they suggest. I have contacted Dell tech support 2 times. the first guy was very helpful, tried a few things and told me he would email me the next day to check if it was working. he never contacted me and i didnt catch his name. I called again a couple days later and the next guy tells me theres nothing wrong and doesnt seem to even want to look at it. this issue started 5 days ago, i know its not normal.  I have a hard time talking on the phone and would much rather talk to a alienware tech through email or something. I see you have alot of knowledge and I was wondering if you would be willing to help? I know i should make my own thread, but i wanted to ask you first. I just dont know what else to try.. my computers not even a year old yet..

thanks, hope you can help.

Kate

No Events found!