Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2013 18:00

Aurora R4 crashing daily

Whenever my computer is under a decent load when I'm playing games or something it tends to crash. The screen goes black, and all I can hear through my headset is some mechanical droning. I think it may be an issue with the PSU not being enough. Help please.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 17th, 2013 18:00

Specs please (especially video card).

A hard crash? ... like Windows doesn't recover (can't get to Task Manager). Machine reboots itself or you have to power cycle?

What games ... what apps ?

10 Posts

January 18th, 2013 05:00

Intel i7 3820/16gb ddr3-1600 ram/Dual radeon hd 7870s/1TB hdd

When it crashes I have to hold down the power button and turn it off for it to do anything. Everything is normal once it reboots. It happens in any game from WoW to League of Legends to Minecraft.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 18th, 2013 12:00

What drivers are you running and where did you download them from?

What does Phone Support say about your problems and what have they done to correct problems?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 18th, 2013 12:00

I think it may be an issue with the PSU not being enough. Help please.

What wattage Power Supply do you have?

Which video-card-power-plugs are connected to each video card?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 18th, 2013 13:00

DO NOT update BIOS at this time.

What BIOS version is currently installed?

DO NOT update BIOS at this time.

10 Posts

January 20th, 2013 17:00

I'm using the most recent AMD drivers from the AMD site. The power supply is whatever Dell sent me, I haven't changed anything or moved any wires around. BIOS Version/Date Alienware A06, 8/31/2012

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 20th, 2013 20:00

BIOS Version/Date Alienware A06, 8/31/2012

OK. Stay on that BIOS for now.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 20th, 2013 20:00

I'm using the most recent AMD drivers from the AMD site.

The power supply is whatever Dell sent me,

I haven't changed anything or moved any wires around.

Those answers don't really tell me anything  

I don't work for Dell.

763 Posts

January 20th, 2013 21:00

When did the problem begin? Did you install the latest driver attempting to fix it, or did it begin after installing the latest.? The 7970M sometimes has issues with the screen going black under heavy 3D demand. Perhaps the 7870 has similar problems. This can occur with stock or overclocked values, but those GPUs that have the problem usually have it worse if overclocked. If you are overclocking the video, set it to stock values and reset driver defaults in Catalyst Control Center.

What GPU and CPU temperatures are you seeing in-game before this happens? It is important to monitor during gameplay,  as sensors you can see only after exiting are of no value while gaming. (Temperatures can drop as fast as lightning as soon as the load stops.) See the information posted HERE on how you can watch temps in real time.

Have you recently checked to confirm the video card and CPU are not overheating. If you have not recently done so, you may need to vacuum or blow out the interior to resolve an issue with temperature. Having their radiator fins clogged with dust or lint is fairly common. Is your system air or water cooled.

If you are hearing a hum or buzzing sound with a black screen, it may be indicative of an overclock without appropriate settings. In particular, setting BCLK too high can cause that. If you do not have your BIOS settings memorized, write them down or take photos, then reset your BIOS to defaults and see if the problem persists. You can go back and update the customized settings after learning whether or not it helped. You system should work fine with default values.

10 Posts

January 20th, 2013 23:00

Neither the GPU's or CPU is overclocked. I haven't tried the real time temperature monitoring yet, but both cards are normally around 45-55c. The CPU is water cooled, everything else air. I've reset the BIOS to default settings. My system has not crashed in the past two days of playing a lot of LoL, I will notify you if it happens again.

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 20:00

I have this same issue. I need some help on this but I have no idea what BIOS are. Could someone answer that for me?

8.8K Posts

January 22nd, 2013 21:00

I have this same issue. I need some help on this but I have no idea what BIOS are. Could someone answer that for me?

It would be best if you start your own thread.

Also, what kind of system do you have and what video card?

thanks

Zb1

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 23rd, 2013 18:00

Sorry for the cross-posting and dups, but I had to make sure all those customers saw that.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 23rd, 2013 18:00

Catalyst 13.1 is released (finally).

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

For you AMD 78xx/79xx users ... I saw these issues Resolved in the Release Notes:

•A sporadic system hang encountered with a single AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU seen on X58 and X79 chipsets.

•An intermittent hang encountered with AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPUs in an AMD CrossFire + Eyefinity setup.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystSoftwareSuiteVersion131.aspx

Be sure to "Clean Install" (see my 01-23-2013 Post)

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19340381/20283836.aspx#20283836

No Events found!