Chiocci
2 Bronze

RE: Aurora R4 overheating problem SOLVED!!!

Jump to solution

Hello everybody and thanks for the topic. 

Same problem here, but don't know what to choose, the H55, H80i? Or this one from intel? 

BXTS13X intel cooler

Could somebody please take a picture on how the H80i is installed on the Aurora Case?

Someone said a few posts before that the Intel Model fits and is connected the same way as the Asetec Model, this would be great, no? I guess it is also recognized by the AW Thermal software.

What do you think?

0 Kudos
KEAPS-FR
1 Copper

Jump to solution

H80i.jpg

h80i_2.jpg

0 Kudos
hockeytownrox
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Had the same exactly problem...only I've been putting up with it since the fall of 2013.  Bought my Aurora R4 in June of 2012 and the CPU starting overheating in the fall of 2013, identical to many people who have posted on these forums. 

Replaced the cooling system with a Corsair H80i and couldn't be happier.  No jet engine system fans going crazy and I can now have a conversation when actually playing a game on Ultra graphic settings.  My CPU cores were really close to overheating too.  This is shameful that such a shoddy part was included in a fairly expensive system back in 2012.  

0 Kudos
AgeOfDeceit
1 Copper

Jump to solution

first and foremost, its obvious their is a serious issue with most if not all Aurora R4 systems cpu coolers.

It is a total shame that Dell has not at the very least sent out a bulletin to all R4 owners warning them of a overheating issue. leaving it to the customer to find this out the hard way is pathetic, especially for these over priced systems stuffed with all these extra bells and whistles that didn't help or warn of this situation one iota.

I can't believe anyone who bought a R4 would ever buy another Dell pc after they finds out how this issue has been handled. Dell should be offering replacement parts at a discount to anyone having this issue regardless of their one year warranty expiration. this seems to be occurring within twelve to fourteen months after purchase, oh how convenient.  my issue started two weeks after my warrant expired. I see the same for many posting here.    

Dell.... own up !

sincerely

Disappointed

0 Kudos
lynne4270
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

I agree with everything you are saying about the coolers. Dell may not have known about the defect in the beginning, but they sure have known about it for a long time now. Why nothing has been done is a very good question. My guess would be, we got your money so don't bother us.The cooler is not the only low end parts put in these R4 computers. My R4 is now 18 months old and I have not seen the problem a lot of people are having with the cooler at around 12 to 14 months. The only thing I can figure is I don't do a lot of gaming so the processor isn't being pushed all that much. As for buying another Alienware computer, not a chance. I can buy a cheap HP or Gateway computer for one third the price and still get the same cheap parts Alienware uses.

0 Kudos
Gaelica
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you. It worked for me. I was having fan issues, apparently from over heating. I did just as you instructed, fan is now quieter and temperature is cooler.  Good job!

0 Kudos
BLuyckx
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hey Chris

I followed your advice and dordered the h55.

I noticed however that the power pin for the pump on the h55 is three pins and won't fit the same place as the original (I think it is 7 pins). Where would I have to plug it in? would 'cpu fan' next to 'system fan' be an option?

UPDATE

just installed my H55, system fan is the radiator fan and cpu fan is my pump.

Noticed that the fan/rad screws are very short

Installe deverything as per the manual (rad on inside, fan between rad and case, blowing IN, on the rad)

idle temp you ask?  27°C!!! freaking awesome

Did a thorough check of all the hardware

ran prime 95 and couldn't get the temp above 52°C, without the fan even spinning up

autopsy of the old cooling unit tomorrow

oh, had to cut the wire for the old pump, because it is stuck in the overhead case plug thingy and couldn't get it out, no loss, won't need that anymore

happy camper

0 Kudos
jb122
3 Argentium

Jump to solution
Thank you for doing the work and finding this. My R4 just went out of warranty three weeks ago and now has this issue. I have ordered a Corsair H55 unit, but will be disassembling the cooling unit later today to clean it out. In checking Dell's Alienware ordering options, I note that they now offer a "Premium Liquid Cooling" option as an alternative to the "Standard Liquid Cooling" for an additional $95.00. Interesting. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
raysz
3 Argentium

Jump to solution
Just as a FYI, I chose the h80i only because the two fans are plugged into the cooling unit, so the cooling unit controls the fans. I think that's more efficient. It's been running now for roughly about almost 3 months now and has been keeping my system.cool
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Shannon72
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Awesome solution, exactly what my problem was.  Thanks for your post, your a great person for sharing.

0 Kudos