Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2012 08:00

Aurora R4 will not boot

I have a new Alienware Aurora desktop (4/15/2012) with windows 7 64bit installed. I wanted to add OSX to the system as well which I had installed on my previous Dell. I installed Iboot which takes over control of the MBR from windows so you can select which operating system to boot into. After doing so I can no longer boot the computer into any operation system. It just does a continuous loop of restarting. It shows a black screen that says F2 Setup and F12 for Boot Options. In all it takes about 2 seconds to get to that point then restarts. I have tried F10 and F8 to try to access that Respawn feature but neither key has any effect.

I have tried using the Win7 DVD to do a a startup repair but it does not show any errors. If I go into a command prompt I can see the C: drive which is the restore drive and also the D: drive which is the main windows drive.

I went into the command prompt and tried bootrec /fixmbr and /rebuildbcd and /fixboot all to no avail.

I have never had this issue before.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I do not want to do a full reinstall and have to install all of the drivers and Office 2010 which was preloaded on the system but no CDs.

Thank you.

41 Posts

April 19th, 2012 09:00

In troubleshooting other problems concerning AlienRespawn and its failure to exist on an R4, I was given this information  that may pertain to your issue.

"UEFI is turned on by us at the factory on the Aurora-R4 and the X51"

11 Posts

April 19th, 2012 09:00

Thanks for this info. I have verified in the BIOS that is it still enabled. I have tried moving that option down in the boot order below the HD and still no luck :(

2.4K Posts

April 19th, 2012 10:00

Thanks for this info. I have verified in the BIOS that is it still enabled. I have tried moving that option down in the boot order below the HD and still no luck :(

If it was me I would go back to the legacy BIOS for now. Dell and other companies are still trying to catch up on making their programs work with the new UEFI. Other option is to just wait until they do that.  Since UEFI is new I don't have much experience with it. You should Google what you can to work out how to go about doing it.

No Events found!