Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 22nd, 2017 07:00

Aurora R5 CPU pump failure error

My R5 ran Great!  ...until I updated the latest bios patch, then it turned into a loud noised, graphics hanging POS.  At one point it showed "cpu pump failure" in a checkbox.  trouble is....I don't have a cpu pump and there is nothing plugged into the cpu pump terminals on the MB.  Can anybody tell me what going on or how to revert to the original bios where I didn't have a problem...I wish to God I hadn't updated the bios.... Also, I ran every self-test there was and the results are that "NOTHING IS WRONG"!!???   Well something is wrong for sure...I spent 2 hrs chasing my tail on the Dell website looking for answers....there are none......

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 09:00

What version of the BIOS were you last running (when everything was fine)?

What version is giving you problems now?

That is surely strange, but are you having any other reproducible system problems also? I'm wondering how deep this hole is.

Have you tried a clean install of the proper AW-CommandCenter?

Looks like this user recently had a similar problem after BIOS firmware updating:

https://community.dell.com/message/65772

You might want to use CPUID HW-Monitor to double-check for a while.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 4th, 2017 08:00

Hi ‌,

If you are still experiencing this issue with your Alienware system, please send me a PM with your Service Tag and we will get back to you. To send a PM, hover your mouse to my username and select the "Message" option on the bottom of the window. 

1 Message

May 15th, 2017 17:00

hello 

I'm also suffering with a cpu pump failure with my desktop but don't know how to sort it out?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 16th, 2017 09:00

kylehammett32 wrote:

hello 

I'm also suffering with a cpu pump failure with my desktop but don't know how to sort it out?

What make and model desktop do you have?

If after:
1. re-seating BOTH of it's cables/wires
2. Turn back on and run ePSA. There is also a second-page for individual tests.

If you still get a "cpu pump failure" the Asetek Liquid-Cooler might indeed be bad. The easiest thing would be to arrange to have it replaced with the exact replacement Dell part.

2 Posts

December 6th, 2017 12:00

I have had this same problem.  I purchased the computer (Aurora R5) in November of 2016.  In December of 2017 my compute indicated that there was a pump failure.

I performed the power drain and Dell/Alienware Technical Support uninstalled and re-installed the "Command Center" program through Dell-Connect.  Neither fixed the issue.  It was then determined that I had to send the desktop in for repairs.  However, when they checked stock for new pumps they found out that this pump has been discontinued.  If they can not obtain a new pump they would attempt to install a standard fan.  If this does not work, they will return the computer as is.  I have sent in the computer for these repairs hoping that everything works out.

The issue I still have is that I am no longer covered by the warranty.  I understand that I chose not to extend this warranty, but I fail to see why I was not informed about my computer containing a potentially faulty pump that Dell/Alienware is deciding to no longer use.  I contacted Dell customer service and talked with two separate individuals.  I asked for information on why the pump was discontinued and when it was discontinued.  My thought being; if the discontinuation was before the warranty why was I not informed so that I could opt to have it replaced or been more informed about my risks when deciding whether or not to extend my warranty.  Both of these individuals told me they had additional support to assist with my situation and then I was transferred to the operator by both of these people.

I have no idea what to do.  I have a expensive computer that could potentially be sent back to me as a mostly useless brick until I spend an unknown amount of money and time to scavenge it for parts to build a new PC on my own.  I feel that my argument above is fair and simply ask that I am provided a reasonable response.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

December 6th, 2017 13:00

Your radiator has a part# on it, I've seen this part# MH0HN in the Service Tag Build Sheets of both R5 & R6, you yourself can check the part# and / or check your service tag to see what the part# is then hand it to whomever you're speaking to. When in doubt, try Area-51 K31VH cooler & swap over the retention ring to the one you have now, or look for Corsair type H50 55 60 etc > https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=k31vh&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=10&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=k31vh&_sacat=0

MH0HN corresponds to Aurora Cooling Kit

Differences?

zoom in to see R5 3pin pump

"R6" type with 4pin

I already zoomed in, R7 Covfefe gets a 4pin

the 4pin of the R6 R7 models will simply slip right over the 3pin header on R5 motherboard

"pin4" goes dead, nothing to plug into

there is no complication

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 6th, 2017 13:00

jms83 wrote:

However, when they checked stock for new pumps they found out that this pump has been discontinued.  If they can not obtain a new pump they would attempt to install a standard fan. 

While the Aurora-R5, Aurora-R6, and now the Aurora-R7 might all have different Dell Part Numbers for their Asetek-built Liquid-Coolers ... they are, in fact, all the same part (and are inter-changeable). 

I'm 99% positive of this and I welcome anyone to actually examine all 3 models and prove me wrong.

We saw the same situation with the older (slightly larger) Asetek Liquid-Cooler model that went into the Aurora R1, R2, R3, and R4.

No Events found!