Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2017 17:00

Aurora R5 RAM Upgrade - Won't Boot Up

I recently purchased the Aurora R5 with the i7-6700 and 8GB (2x4gb)  of RAM.  After receiving the PC I ordered what I thought was the exact same hynix RAM to increase it 16GB (4x4gb).  After installing the RAM I got lights and fan noise but no boot or monitor connection.  On the first attempt the PC shut itself down after about 5 min.  After the second attempt I uninstalled the additional RAM and the PC is back to normal.

This came in the PC:

SKhynix HMA451U6AFR8N-TF N0 AB 1547

I ordered and installed:

SKhynix HMA451U6AFR8N-TF N0 AC 1634

I didn't think that the SPD or production date tacked on the end there meant anything, but maybe it does?  Or do I need to change settings on the PC prior to installing?

Or did I get bunk RAM...

Anyone know what's going on?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 12th, 2017 14:00

Thanks - looking at the service manual the memory configuration matrix lists no options for 4x4x4x4.  The only 16gb option is 8x8.  Could that be what's keeping my setup from working?

Possibly. Not sure why 4x4x4x4 is missing from manual, because it should be a valid config.

Actually, in my opinion ... the preferred 16gb config since both Memory Banks (each consisting of 2 DIMM slots) would be filled, allowing both Memory Banks to operate in their designed and optimal Dual-Channel Mode. 

Manual is not very good since it doesn't show the physical location of each DIMM 1-4 slot on the motherboard, talk about the two Memory Banks, or how the slot colors work.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 10th, 2017 09:00

Looks like that should work.

EXACT SAME Dimms were in each Dual-Channel Memory Bank , and each time were installed in Pairs.Try each exact pair in Bank-0. Check Service Manual for location of those slots.

5 Posts

February 12th, 2017 13:00

Thanks - looking at the service manual the memory configuration matrix lists no options for 4x4x4x4.  The only 16gb option is 8x8.  Could that be what's keeping my setup from working?

5 Posts

February 12th, 2017 19:00

After playing around with the seating and paying ever so much attention to getting them into the DIMM slots properly, it looks like the PC is up and running, maybe a shade faster.

Thanks for the help!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 12th, 2017 22:00

After playing around with the seating and paying ever so much attention to getting them into the DIMM slots properly, it looks like the PC is up and running, maybe a shade faster.

Thanks for the help!

You are welcome.

So, 4x4x4x4 does work after all, huh?

37 Posts

February 14th, 2017 01:00

So was it the ram not being inserted all the way?

9 Posts

February 14th, 2017 12:00

go into the BIOS, F5 or Del key. Ensure the Voltage and or timing matches what came with your system

5 Posts

February 14th, 2017 16:00

Yup, 4x4x4x4 works like a charm.

5 Posts

February 14th, 2017 16:00

I have to admit it looks like operator error.  I paid more attention and made sure the RAM was fully seated this time around and the system booted up and recognized it immediately.  Appreciate the help/advice.  Multitasking and loading programs is noticeably faster.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 14th, 2017 17:00

Yup, 4x4x4x4 works like a charm.

Thanks for verification. If they ever revise the manual, hopefully they will fix it. It truly is the best way to get 16gb in there (running Dual-Channel). 16gb is all most people will ever need on Windows-10.

Yeah, the DIMMs have to be snapped-in all the way. Maybe since they have more pins (a denser arrangement) maybe that was tripping you up.

No Events found!