Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2017 00:00

Aurora R6 Control Center Temperatures

Hey everyone,

On my new Aurora R6 it looks as though the CPU sensor temperature is reading out under the Ambient Sensor and not the CPU sensor. The fans seem to be running perfectly. It just looks like a display issue.

I just did a clean Windows 10 restore from the factory partition and the issue still exists...

Any ideas?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 12th, 2017 10:00

Nycibbyryder wrote:

1. I only built my own pc after seeing how sexy the 570x looked, and getting a bit frustrated with the limitations of the R6. It cost me about $2k to build my own, the R6 was way cheaper. That doesn't make me or my pc better than you or yours man. To each his own.

2. My only point was that the thread seems to be based on the mixup in sensor readings. I originally had a fan based cooler myself which I upgraded to an AIO when I bought the 7700k. That doesn't make a difference in the sensors being screwed up. It's also worth mentioning that it seemed ok when left in alien control mode, though it was much better in manual after I figured out a proper fan curve for it. I think the new R6 owner has a right to know this is a common issue. Even among different situations. 

1. Yeah, I saw the Corsair 570x case a while back. Pretty cool if that is the look you are going for. Why only have one small clear window on the side of your new custom-build when you can have this?  Like you said, to each his own.

2. There are a couple of threads about Alienware Command Center work-arounds. I thought I had at least one Bookmarked for better "visibility" and to help users find it. Yeah, too bad the new forum doesn't really have a facility for Stickies. 

June 9th, 2017 20:00

Hello People.

Have any one figured out the right curve for the fans at the thermal control center? is it possible to de-attach the ambient sensor from cpu sensor? how to do? all the options i have in thermal control center is the speed of the fans.

Sorry if this is been answered in other thread... I am knew with this things and my Aurora is either heating up (ambient-cpu sensor pair together control) or i have the blasting engine noise of the fans on... 

Basic Specs:

Aurora R6

i7 7700k.

16RAM

GTX 1060

450W PSU

CPU liquid cooling pumps.

Thanks in advance for any help 

17 Posts

June 10th, 2017 08:00

1) What liquid cooler do you have?

2) Have you tried setting the fans to react to the Ambient sensor instead of the CPU Sensor in Alien Control?

3) I had my curve starting at about 40% and going up from there on my R6. I can add a screenshot of my current setup, but keep in mind I'm no longer running my Alienware so it won't be an exact curve you should use. Maybe it'll give you an idea. 

4) Download CAM software. It's a great thermal monitoring program you can also use as an in-game monitor. Corsair Link software works similarly, I just like that CAM has the in-game monitor. Both are free. 

June 12th, 2017 10:00

Hi

1-  I have not clue what is the one they used, i purchased the computer with it preinstalled.

2- I read in other post people were suggesting the opposite... i have tried both and seems the effect is the same.. the temp is always the same in both ambient and CPU in both configurations.

3- I did the same... seems fine.

4- I did, and i was sharing in other thread, that when i use heavy software like video editors, the PSU fan goes crazy and is extremely noisy (other fans dont change their speed) and i notice the CAM displayed temp is lower in 10° aprox than the temp displayed in the thermal control center.

Thanks for any help on dealing with this temp issue... it makes me a bit anxious. 

17 Posts

June 12th, 2017 10:00

1. Normally the 7700k can only come with an 850w PSU, thats why I asked. That's odd.

2. There's a known issue with the R5's and R6's where the CPU temp is actually labeled "Ambient Temp" instead of CPU Temp. Read the entire thread above, you'll see it.

3. Good.

4. That's likely not the PSU fan you're hearing. It's the front case fan which is cranking up to cool the PC. 

- See which temp the CPU Temp in CAM software matches with in the Alienware Control Center. My guess is it will match with "Ambient Sensor." 

- If it does, set both the top and front case fans to read from the ambient sensor. 

- Take a screenshot and post here. That will also be helpful. There may be something else a miss that we haven't gone over. 

- The noise could also be your graphics card. These come shipped with blower style cards which can get noisy, and the stock fan profiles are pretty miserable. CAM will also allow you to set a fan profile for the GPU. Go over to tuning and click the standard fan profile, then save. It's pretty aggressive so you shouldn't have to tweak it. DO NOT overclock anything. you need to manage the cooling, not the clock speeds. 

save

screenshot

post here 

17 Posts

June 12th, 2017 11:00

17 Posts

June 12th, 2017 11:00

20% wasn't enough. I had to raise it to about 30% or so on the left.

I had to raise the curve up to 30% on the left. 20% didn't work well and shouldn't be used on either curve (Top or Front). But it should look similar to this on yours.

June 14th, 2017 06:00

Hi

When i bought my computer i had the option to have the 460W or the 850w PSU and i choose the cheaper one, because i thought if they offer it as part of the 7700K combo then should be enough. 

I live in China where i bought my computer. The first week the CPU had to be replaced and now i am still facing problems with the booting. Besides this issue with the Fan.

I tried to return the computer because i feel it doesnt match the price tag for all the problems i have with it. And they said... too late suck it.

When the engineers come here to check the computer they are all look so lost, both of the ones that have come told me that was the first time they saw this computer, one of them didnt know how to open it... 

Sorry i aired my frustration in the thread... 

Back to track. i am attaching  images from a video i will upload in YouTube so people think it twice before buying this computer, the images show the CAM and Thermal and I am placing my hand on the PSU Fan which starts running so loud i cannot listen to music with earplugs. on. 

Thanks for your help.

PS: Is there any Direct Email to Customer Support for Alienware... i would like to express my frustration... but all i find is "DYI repair forums and videos" but nothing like Talk to us or let a person help you solve the issues.

Aurora Fan will make me deaf

17 Posts

June 14th, 2017 07:00

1) What do the thermals look like at idle?

2) I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm surprised they let you buy the PC with a 450w PSU. It wouldn't even let me check out with that option (I'm in the US, not sure if that makes a difference) Your hand is definitely over the PSU fan in that picture. I did upgrade mine with a 650w PSU when I switched over to the 7700k and water cooling.

Issues like this is what caused me to go and just build my own    

‌ any ideas?

17 Posts

Another note, can you post a screenshot of the fan curves on the front and top fans?

Hi there.

Answering both posts:

1- The fans never really go idle, but when computer is not doing anything specific its always around 38°C-40°C (100-104°F) thats on the thermal control center, on CAM normally is 3-4° less.

2- It could be a cross cultural problem, here they are "relaxed" not to say less professional... do you think i should upgrade to a more powerfull PSU? 

A question that just popped in my head is, i noticed that having the auto thermal controls, the only fan that goes off when loading a heavier software is the PSU fan, the other fans remain the same (at least noise wise i cannot notice much change on the speed). So perhaps its an issue on the PSU thinking it needs to cool off? Does a more powerful PSU take longer to "need to cool off"?

Final question, if i change the PSU would I void my warranty? i bet Dell would love me to get a replacement PSU so they dont need to care about my problem anymore.

Thanks again. 

Below the curves as i found they worked better in terms of noise and cooling operation. 

Thermal Curves

17 Posts

June 14th, 2017 11:00

Those curves are way too low!

The fan speeds should never drop below 20%. 0% will cause your fans to ramp up and down constantly. Bring up the left side to 20% first, then see how it reacts, If the temps are still ramping up or down, bring it up to 25%, then 30%, until you find something that works. 

My R6 idled at around 28-30C at 30% on both curves. 

You could leave it on Alien Control if the thermals stay normal.

I think that a 450w PSU may be a bit under-powered for what you're running, it could also be defective.

Replacing it would solve both problems, but yes, it would absolutely void your warranty.

6 Posts

June 19th, 2017 13:00

I received my new R6 last week and noticed the strangest thing.  My ambient sensor was reading temperatures far higher than the CPU or GPU sensors.  Right now, the only thing I'm doing is typing this response on Firefox, no other processes in the background.  This is the current temperature readings:

• CPU Sensor: 35 C
  • Ambient Sensor: 63 C
  • GPU Sensor #1: 38 C

First of all, isn't "ambient" temperature just the surrounding temperature inside the case?  WHY would ambient temperature be nearly twice as hot as the CPU or GPU???

For Dell:  This is extremely concerning because the fans will not come on when they're supposed to.  PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP.

Is this the problem everyone else is having???

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 19th, 2017 15:00

samurai9 wrote:

1. First of all, isn't "ambient" temperature just the surrounding temperature inside the case?  

2. the fans will not come on when they're supposed to.

3. PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP.

1. Yes

2. As a work-around, switch your sensors on the Manual-Curves

3. Yes, please Dell.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 19th, 2017 15:00

Some users have this problem (where they are swapped) and others (like me) have the problem where CPU and Ambient read the same.

No Events found!