Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2013 15:00

BIOS error

i'm having a weird issue with my computer.

i had bios version a02 originally, and today i decided to update it. i went to a05 only to find out that my computer would no longer read my hard drive, i get an error telling me to reseat the drive but i can access the bios menu just fine. i tried going down to a03 and that didn't fix the problem. i don't even get to the starting windows screen, after the bios screen i get the error.

what's weird is, if i mash the f12 key to get into boot options and then hit escape on my keyboard, windows boots up! the fans are going ridiculously fast but i'm signed into windows completely fine with no data loss. i'm thinking that updating the bios was a useless idea and now somehow my settings have been messed up and here i am now.

any way to get this error to go away, its NOT my hard drive, when i go into boot options and start windows normally it boots up. much slower than usual, but i'm still booted up and have absolutely no data loss. i'd revert to bios version a02 but i can't seem to find it on the download page, it has a01 and 3 but completely skips 2.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 13th, 2013 16:00

Hi shreds97,

May I know the exact system model?

Do you get any error message when you try to boot the computer?

Is it a laptop or a desktop?

Awaiting your response!

4 Posts

September 13th, 2013 18:00

its an alienware aurora r4 (desktop)

i get an error message that says that an internal hard disk can't be found, i can hit f1 to retry boot or f2 to go to bios menu or hit f12 to access boot options and then hit escape and windows will then boot up and i can log in but the fans in the computer are running at full speed the entire time

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 17th, 2013 19:00

Hi shreds97,

Reseat the hard drive and check if the hard drive is detected.

Refer the following link which has manual to reseat the Hard drive:

http://dell.to/15BhRBu

If the hard drive is still not dected, swap the cables of the DVD drive to Hard drive and check.

Also, run diagnostics on the computer:

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMBIyeelQA0&list=PLaMGK8uBGSYs7GPYAH_7ExyvlXE679Rop&index=19&dgc=SM&cid=268776&lid=4913784:550:0]

Let me know the status.

No Events found!