Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

December 16th, 2011 04:00

BSOD 0x00000116

Hi, I've been having this problem for a while. It's the BSOD with the error code 0x00000116.

Everything started when I was playing League of Legends and suddenly the screen froze - nothing seemed to be happening and I saw some graphical glitches too (hard to explain - strange shapes and stuff at some parts of the screen). Since I couldn't do anything at all I had to manually turn off my computer (by holding the power button, that is), and afterwards it BSODed me when I was trying to get back to the match (it happened when it started loading the game itself, not the menu screen (if you ever played LoL, you should understand)). Then I tried other games - the same thing happened (well, aside from terraria and magicka, but they probably just used the integrated gpu).

I tried different versions of drivers - didn't help. Also, it seems that my graphics card doesn't seem to respond at all, because I downloaded gpu-z to measure the temperature (in case that was the problem), but when I launched it it displayed the specs for my intel integrated gpu. When I tried to switch it to my nvidia geforce GT 555M, it first displayed the bubble that it stopped working and successfully recovered and soon afterwards - BSOD, same error code.

I tried the drivers which came with the computer (v267.62, I think), v270.61, v275.33, v285.62 and 290.36 drivers, same thing with all of them (aside from 285 - with those my computer barely worked at all. I assume it tried running it on my nvidia by default, rather than the integrated gpu, which seemed to be the case for other drivers). 

My computer is Alienware m14x

Processor i7-2670QM

4 GB RAM

64 bit win 7

Nvidia GeForce GT 555M.

If any further information about my computer is necessary I am more than willing to post it.

4 Posts

December 17th, 2011 03:00

Thanks, sorry for not checking the boards properly before posting. Anyway, I've got another question - if I run the alienware diagnostics thingy and it doesn't report any problems can it still be a problem with my hardware?

2.4K Posts

December 17th, 2011 06:00

Thanks, sorry for not checking the boards properly before posting. Anyway, I've got another question - if I run the alienware diagnostics thingy and it doesn't report any problems can it still be a problem with my hardware?

yes

4 Posts

December 18th, 2011 06:00

I don't want to be a bother, but I would appreciate if someone could help me devise a more precise problem with this.

What I found out is this: 8666.no_drivers.jpg

What happened there is that I downloaded MSI afterburner in order to see if underclocking would help and this is what I found. I'm sure I've got drivers installed. Another peculiar thing is that when I run something which calls out the BSOD on steam I first get the message, that the graphics card was not recognised:

6076.Unknown video card.jpg

This obviously strange because nvidia is a big manufacturer and I doubt that steam wouldn't have that in their database. Also, I didn't get this before the whole incident.

The thing is that all of the games (which work, that is) I run seem to run on the integrated card, but when the pc is idle, the afterburner usually shows activity in all of the clocks (although GPU usage remains at 0%).

No Events found!